Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and came up with a few people running load range E tires, but it was always right when they are about to order them. Anyone out there been running them for awhile have any feedback? I'm looking at getting from Goodyear Duratracs in 245/75/17 and they only seem to come in load range E.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There's pro's and con's..... most notably the increased weight hurting performance and the stiffer ride. But the thicker/stiffer sidewalls are better for airing down off-road, the tread is usually deeper and more aggressively spaced than the P counterparts.

Just make sure you don't run too much pressure if you get then. Use your GAWR and the inflation vs. Pressure chart of the manufacturer to determine proper inflation so you dont have too much OR too little. LT tires usually require slightly higher pressures than P tires to keep interlaminar friction between the plys down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been running my Load Range E Duratracs for about 15,000 miles now, I got them back in July I think and travel a lot so they definitely get a workout. Have had them off-road once back in August for the Midwest Commander meet-up at Flagpole Knob. So far so good besides what Matt mentioned, they are a heavy tire so it has done a number on the gas mileage. They seem to be wearing pretty good though, considering I am technically about 1/3 a way through the life of the tire. At this rate I will be buying another set about this time next year :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of gas mileage change did they cause? I've got the 5.7 so the power isn't an issue, but gas mileage already sucks...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well I think the calibration is off a little b/c of the height of the tire but the Jeep tells me I am getting around 14 mpg with mixed driving. I am thinking it is closer to 15-16. That is with a 4.7L.
As a reference I was getting around 18 with the Forteras

·
Registered
104 Posts
Range E BFG KM2s here... only range they came in for teh size I wanted. they are heavy as hell, but can't complain other than that. Ride is fine..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the duratracs for almost 10K now and get about 15-16 highway. They wear great and look better. I found that if I keep the PSI a little higher the MPG is better, less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Be careful with that. Over inflating tires for better gas mileage also reduces traction (less friction/less rolling resistance) and will also wear the center tread faster.

Not sure how much better gas mileage you're getting... but any cost savings will probably be offset by the increased wear on the tires. $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts