Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Ok I have my lift (2.25 RR). Now for the tires and rims. I am wondering what people are using for load ranges. I use my commander for towing my two place snowmobile trailer, will the standard load (SL) be Ok or should I spend the extra money and go with the E rated tire?

Thanks,
David

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
The tire load range is not for what you will be towing. It is for the weight of the vehicle.

Commander's weight:

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I wouldn't exactly say that load range has nothing to do with towing

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dave,

Standard load tires would be sufficient. But there's less tire selection... and if you tow a lot, the added sway control of an LT would help.

Any LT (C, D or E) would be good. Just keep an eye on your pressures. For non-loaded daily driving, you'll want to keep the pressures 35-40 (closer to 40 if you're running a 245 wide tire). Then, depending on the tong weight of your trailer i'd bump the rears up to 45-50ish.

These pressure ranges are based on the TRA load vs inflation charts and general for the LT tire sizes we're capable of running on these vehicles.

Are you from Colorado?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks For the replies...

I'm looking at the general grabber AT2 265/70/17 tires which both come in LT and SL load range. I do No off roading except some two tracks and fire lanes when hunting or fishing,That's why I asked if SL would work.

Matt, I live in Grand Haven, Michigan.

David

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If it was my jeep I'd go with the LT

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your right Ill go with the LT's...

now for the rims, I want Mamba MR1's but they are impossible to find Polished. I would go with my stock Moab's but I rather not use spacers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts