Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I downloaded Eton Application guide (April 2008) and looked up the part number mentioned in quadratec.com (19818-010) and found that its for front axle but not sure its for Commander or Grand Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well it's definately not for the rear since we have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 alxe. As for the front im not sure if that will work or not. I didn't think we have a dana 30 up front, someone please correct me if im wrong. Ill be changing the fluids again in the axles soon and will check to see how many splines the front diff has. Unless someone has that info already.

Also you have to take this into consideraton. If and when they do make lockers for our commanders, the traction control / ESP system will have to be addressed. When off roading the ESP / Traction control would interfer with the lockers. However as most of you know there are ways around this like installing a switch like i did to totally shut of the Traction control and ESP.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Also you have to take this into consideration. If and when they do make lockers for our commanders, the traction control / ESP system will have to be addressed. When off roading the ESP / Traction control would interfer with the lockers. However as most of you know there are ways around this like installing a switch like i did to totally shut of the Traction control and ESP.
I don't think we need to do anything in regards to Traction Control system, simply when you lock the rear diff there will be absolutely no speed difference between the rear wheels, thus the Traction Control will not get engaged for rear wheels at all, and well continue to limit the slippage in the front wheels if it happens. So when the locker is activated (by the button) the Traction Control will only act for front wheels slippage (as no slippage will happen in the rear wheels due to the locker)

Simply the traction control uses brakes to try to maintain same speed on both wheels at the same axle.

So you will have a really nice and active combination, Rear diff locker and front Traction control.

ESP still must be in full off as the case without the locker.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
we have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 alxe.
That what I thought too, and if you look at the application guide you won't find any diff with 8.25", and that what leading me to believe that they don't have any locker for XK or WK!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I don't think we need to do anything in regards to Traction Control system, simply when you lock the rear diff there will be absolutely no speed difference between the rear wheels, thus the Traction Control will not get engaged for rear wheels at all, and well continue to limit the slippage in the front wheels if it happens. So when the locker is activated (by the button) the Traction Control will only act for front wheels slippage (as no slippage will happen in the rear wheels due to the locker)

Simply the traction control uses brakes to try to maintain same speed on both wheels at the same axle.

So you will have a really nice and active combination, Rear diff locker and front Traction control.

ESP still must be in full off as the case without the locker.

I never thought about that and i think that you are 100% correct because i know the FJ Cruiser has a rear locker and traction control. I guess i just wasnt thinking.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Last i knew we had a 8.25 rear and they are all 29 splines. Also the GC and JC are identical besides the body/interior.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im still thinking about a dana 44 rear out of a 2wd Hemi Overland because they make lockers out that will fit that axle. Just have to either pay 1900 from the jeep dealer or find a wrecked 2wd Hemi overland at the junk yard.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Are we sure about the rear diff being 8.25 and not 8.375?
Yes, and here is some info I managed to get from the service manual.

Axle Ratio
3.07, 3.55, 3.73 (up to my knowledge, 3.07 for 3.7L QT-I, 3.55 for 3.7L with QT-II and 3.73 for both 4.7L and 5.7L QT-II and QD-II)

Differential Case Flange Runout
0.076 mm (0.003 in.)

Differential Case Clearance
0.12 mm (0.005 in.)

Ring Gear Diameter
213 mm (8.25 in.)

Ring Gear Backlash
0.12 - 0.20 mm (0.005 - 0.008 in.)

Maximum Ring Gear Backlash Variation
0.076 mm (0.003 in.)

Ring Gear Runout
0.12 mm (0.005 in.)

Pinion Torque To Rotate - Original Bearings
1 - 2 N·m (10 - 20 in. lbs.)

Pinion Torque To Rotate - New Bearings
1.7 - 4 N·m (15 - 35 in. lbs.)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Im still thinking about a dana 44 rear out of a 2wd Hemi Overland because they make lockers out that will fit that axle. Just have to either pay 1900 from the jeep dealer or find a wrecked 2wd Hemi overland at the junk yard.
I wonder why they made different rear diff for 2WD XKs ? although they have the same axle ration of 3.73 !!

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i'm thinking about converting the front suspension on mine to a solid axle. i want to use the JK axles front and rear. they come standard with 4.10 gears and electric lockers. i'm willing to bet the brakes would be a direct swap.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Here is a picture of a Powertrax No-Slip i had in my Ford Ranger. I think i found one a few months ago that would work for our rear axle. It's what they call a "lunch box locker". It replaces the spider gears in the differential and let me tell you it worked amazing off road. The best part about them is they are cheap and dont require taking out the differential. Anyone can install one!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here is a picture of a Powertrax No-Slip i had in my Ford Ranger. I think i found one a few months ago that would work for our rear axle. It's what they call a "lunch box locker". It replaces the spider gears in the differential and let me tell you it worked amazing off road. The best part about them is they are cheap and dont require taking out the differential. Anyone can install one!

I would like to see more info about that when you get it figured out.if you get more infor for this please put it up.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
the problem with running one of those is the amount of drivetrain binding you will have.

a full-time locker in a part time transfer-case is easy to live with. hell, i had a spool in my toyota for 5 years. but when you have full-time transfer-cases, you will have a lot of drive train binding. you won't be able to turn as well. this is the reason the full time transfer-case in our jeeps is a 52% (rear) and 48%(front) split when you are in 4 hi. there would be too much binding if it was 50/50.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Power Trax isn't a full spool..........I believe its like a clutch type that engages centrifically.............it allows one wheel to spin normal......once the spinning reaches a point of engagement it locks the other one with those teeth you see.

I believe thats how it works..........more like the FOrd 8.8 stock limited slip but with teeth (or like the clutch Auburn).

·
Registered
175 Posts
i like the idea about the jk axles. i was going to put them in my yj. for the money your can't beat it. gears and a selectable locker what a deal . are already set up for a coil spring suspension i just wonder how close all the linkage bracketry is to our commanders. fortunately for me i only need the rear.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Power Trax isn't a full spool..........I believe its like a clutch type that engages centrifically.............it allows one wheel to spin normal......once the spinning reaches a point of engagement it locks the other one with those teeth you see.

I believe thats how it works..........more like the FOrd 8.8 stock limited slip but with teeth (or like the clutch Auburn).

The way the Powertrax No-Slip works is a little different from a clutch driven limited slip. The powertrax engages when power is applied to that alxe. For instance when the vehicle is accelerating. When going around a corner the No-Slip disengages unlike a detroit locker making cornering much easier. And the best part about it is that it is quiet. I never heard it back there the whole time i had it. The wife didnt even feel a difference. I have a video of it in action but not sure exactly how to post. If someone can kindly help my ill post it later today.

GetLost4x4- I definately agree with you that it wouldnt be a good idea to use one with our transfer cases. If we werent full time 4x4 it would be a little different.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts