Jeep Commander Forum banner

With high gas prices, are you going to get a locking gas cap?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Already have one

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If people are breaking into vehicles around where I am living for GPS units, I bet gas is already getting stolen.

·
Registered
488 Posts
sadly in the UK they have been standard fitment for a long time.

not because fuel is so expensive just that we have a poor justice system where crooks become the victim and the victim becomes a criminal.:(

·
Registered
103 Posts
No, because I read that if a criminal who wants gasoline comes across a locking gas cap, they just go under the car & puncture the gas tank.. Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Mine came fitted with locking gas cap as drysuitdiver,,,,, maybe it is standard in XH (international model)

I wished its not there..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't intend to get a locking gas cap. I keep my Jeep parked inside at night and if someone wants my fuel that bad during the day, I'd rather they just take it and not damage my car in the process.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saturate15 said:
No, because I read that if a criminal who wants gasoline comes across a locking gas cap, they just go under the car & puncture the gas tank.. Thanks but no thanks.
Do you think they could do that if you have fuel tank skid plate?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
UberCommander said:
Do you think they could do that if you have fuel tank skid plate?
Does the fuel skid plate cover 100% of the tank, or just cover enough to protect it from large rocks? I'm guessing it could still be done, although it may be more difficult, which would piss the thief off.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
There have not been any gas thefts in my neighborhood yet but I image they are coming soon enough.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have one...if they want the gas they are going to get it. I'd rather be the guy that will make them work for it a bit harder than the next guy. Making me less of a target b/c they will not waste their time on me and hit the guy parked next to me.

Slainte'
O'C

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I do not think the gas thief is the same as a car thief. If someone needs a ride, they take the car. If they need gas, they will move on to the next one.

I having nothing to back this up, no pics, no proof....just my thought....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
cico7 said:
I do not think the gas thief is the same as a car thief. If someone needs a ride, they take the car. If they need gas, they will move on to the next one.

I having nothing to back this up, no pics, no proof....just my thought....
I think you are correct on this, there are enough cars without locking caps so I would think they would just move on to the next one.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'll wait til I get burned probably.

·
Registered
208 Posts
UberCommander said:
check this out: locking gas cap Notice the bold text under the "add to cart" button.
Interesting. I guess we're not the only ones having this discussion. And for the record, I am getting one. We've not had a rash of gas thefts yet in my area, but it's prolly only a matter of time.

:(

·
Registered
688 Posts
The locking gas caps I've seen at the parts store or Hell-Mart don't look like they'd be too hard to gimp. I wouldn't mind a locking fuel filler door, though I'm sure that would be easy enough to pry open, as well.

Fortunately I have a garage on the house and the transit station where I park has plenty of surveillance. And I park near the camera every morning.

Maybe I should get one of those recordable cards and rig it inside the filler door. Can you see someone opening it up and hearing, loudly .... "I'm Old Gregg!!"

:)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I've had one for a while since I have to park the truck outside due to the lift and rack. Also, I'm not worried about the tank being drilled since its covered by the skid plate. I'm sure that my Glock sticker on the rear of the truck is also a bit of a deterrent.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
webjones said:
The locking gas caps I've seen at the parts store or Hell-Mart don't look like they'd be too hard to gimp. I wouldn't mind a locking fuel filler door, though I'm sure that would be easy enough to pry open, as well.

Fortunately I have a garage on the house and the transit station where I park has plenty of surveillance. And I park near the camera every morning.

Maybe I should get one of those recordable cards and rig it inside the filler door. Can you see someone opening it up and hearing, loudly .... "I'm Old Gregg!!"

:)

Maybe hook one of those train horns up to the door. That should keep them out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts