Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas prices the way they are (and may remain high for some time) I bought a locking gas cap only to discover that there are no provisions to attach the 'pig tail' that holds the gas cap to the fuel door. So...

I drilled a ¼" hole beside the lock on the new gas cap, and plugged the 'pig tail' into the new locking gas cap...Works for me.

If you decide to do it watch for the torque of the drill bit as it penetrates, it will pull the bit through when you least expect it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a good idea. I will have to do that. I just keep the keys in the cap and hang the cap by the keys on the gas door. Your way is much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just my two cents, if don't have a locking gas cap from the factory, DO NOT purchase one from your local auto parts place or the like. After market locking caps are prone to not sealing properly, and causing bad pressure issues which will cause your check engine light to come on. I have also been informed by numerous mechanics (including my dealer) if you don't have one, don't waste the money getting one. All vehicles since the early 80's have a check valve and venting process which make it virtually impossible to "syphon" fuel out of the tank (the hose or tube won't get to the fuel). My dealer said that the locking caps are pretty much only used now to keep someone from putting bad things (sugar) into the tank. But if I really wanted one make sure to get one from them so it would be designed for my specific vehicle, and also keyed to my vehicle key. So anyhow, I trust what my dealer said about not being able to get gas out, cause they would have charged me $25.00 U.S.D. for a locking gas cap, but advised me it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I didn't leave the dealer's lot without the locking cap. I'll keep using it to prevent the sugar-in-the-tank as mentioned by Steelhead. Also think the reattachment of the strap is a good idea (done, this afternoon). Now I know why I kept the original cap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I never even considered buying an after market gas cap. I got mine at Jeep Dealer. The 03 WJ is the same cap. I got one for both our Jeeps about $15 each.

BTW...The key does not need to be in the gas cap to put the cap back on the vehicle so no need to let keys dangle while fueling. The key is only used to unlock the cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts