Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XK same with thoese "Locking" lugnuts on the stock rims.

You knoe the ones that come with the big "key" tool to take the one-lug-per-wheel off, so as to reduce the chances someone steal the wheels

I'm seriously thinking of taking ythem off .. I have the stock lugs to replce them.

My idea is they might mess me up off road sometime ... and the small chance somone is stealing my rims (and not brining the tools that can easily defeat these) is not worth the bother of having the locking lugnuts.

What do you all think??

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Ok

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
...huh......

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I have the locking lug nuts and have no concerns what so ever. If you are concerned take them off.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm ... so you guys don't feel the locking lugs are any kind of liability at all?

I'm surprised I figured there'd be problems ... maybe I'll test them tomorow afternoon ... just take a couple of the locking ones off and put 'em back on and see .. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
69 Posts
A couple months ago, I went outside to go to work and looked across the street, saw a car on blocks with all 4 wheels gone and the front end on the ground......needless to say I went and got some locknuts after work!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had a problem with the stock ones. The top of the locking lug broke off on two wheels so I had to take them to a tire shop and had them removed. I bought a set of McGard locking lugs from the tire shop to replace the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still on the fence, I just checked the package as it was still in the glove box and although mine are MOPAR ... they actualy made by McGard.

The original product registration was still there so I filled it out and stuck is in an envelope to mail (to McGard) ... I'll try the key tomorow sometime and see what it's like.

The "key" is uses the factory lug wrench size so that's good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess if I had a thugery in my neighborhood, and they were running around stealing 'stock' rims, I might have locking lug nuts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This past summer I went through a weekend of off-road training with Bill Burke (http://www.bb4wa.com/) and the things that stuck with me the most were the following:

He stated:
1) Locking lug nuts are "okay" if you're out on the street and you think you live in an area where you might have someone take your wheels. However, if you're going to be wheeling, take them off before you hit the trails and put the regular lugs on. The reasoning is that if for some reason that lock fails on the trail, you're going to be worse off than if someone took a wheel sitting infront of your house.
2) He doesn't use oil based air filters and always carries spare paper filters in the event that you have water in the air box. An oil based filter won't do much, if anything, if water gets into the box. A paper filter can be removed and replaced pretty quickly out on the trial and you don't have to wait to have the oil unit dry out.

After that weekend, I decided that the locking lugs just aren't worth the higher risk out on the trail.

Just a couple thoughts...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I droped my XK off at Discount Tire so they could put on my new tire after my recent off road flat, when I picked it up they handed me a stripped out key and lock and told me it stripped while they were taking it off. (my bet is they used the air gun which is a no-no) anyway it is about $30 to get a replacement key and lock (MoPar/McGard brand) so I am considering having them remove the other three (however they do that) and going with regular lugs.

Hate however that they destroyed it and did not offer to make it right. I can not believe you could strip the lock if you were doing it by hand and I installed the lug myself by hand only two weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I droped my XK off at Discount Tire so they could put on my new tire after my recent off road flat, when I picked it up they handed me a stripped out key and lock and told me it stripped while they were taking it off. (my bet is they used the air gun which is a no-no) anyway it is about $30 to get a replacement key and lock (MoPar/McGard brand) so I am considering having them remove the other three (however they do that) and going with regular lugs.
Another vote to possibly replace with regular .... I still didn't have time to go test mine ... but I am leaning towards replacing them.

I checked with a couple local guys here and it seems "rim stealing" is fairly rare in our area too.

Hate however that they destroyed it and did not offer to make it right. I can not believe you could strip the lock if you were doing it by hand and I installed the lug myself by hand only two weeks ago.
Hmmmm ... I would think they know you can order just one to match? ... The other thing is they come STOCK (dealer option) with some cars too ...

How about bring the bill after the new lugnut comes and and let them know how much it cost?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I was doing mine by hand when they broke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts