1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Let us know what they say about the US version... that would be the best mod!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Nice find, that's the mod I'd do next! Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was thinking about moving the spare wheel and use that space between the frame rails there for a second fuel tank. Now my thinking did not get very far yet. Anybody else has elaborated a similar plan any further?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Didn't auto manufacturers move the gas tanks from the rear of the vehicles because too many people were getting hit in the rear and the gas tanks were exploding/catching fire?

I'm not sure how these guys mount their tank on a Commander, but some of the pics on their site show rear mounted tanks, which can't be very safe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are two tanks available over here, both go in the spare wheel area and require the wheel to be relocated (on the roof, there is no carrier avail as yet!).

Brown Davis:
http://www.browndavis.com.au/AUTO/index.htm

Don't know much about them, most common here is the LRA, which I believe is an aux tank, 67litres approx, not a replacement. There are a couple of WHs in the Melbourne Jeep Owners Club that have it, no Commanders as yet..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Didn't auto manufacturers move the gas tanks from the rear of the vehicles because too many people were getting hit in the rear and the gas tanks were exploding/catching fire?

I'm not sure how these guys mount their tank on a Commander, but some of the pics on their site show rear mounted tanks, which can't be very safe.
I believe that the current Federal safety regulations require (or will within a few years) that the tanks on new models to be forward of the rear axle. That is why you see the tank sitting side saddle in front of the rear axle on all of the current Jeep models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking about moving the spare wheel and use that space between the frame rails there for a second fuel tank. Now my thinking did not get very far yet. Anybody else has elaborated a similar plan any further?
Hey Swiss..Your idea is how Long Range Automotive (LRA) Australia has done it for their 110Litre (about 30 US Gal I think) aux tank..See pics on my web site of how I have mine fitted with (custom made) spare wheel carrier: My LRA Tank

The inlet is change to a Y filler which allows you to fill either main or aux with the smaller car nozzle or both at once with the truck size nozzle at the pump..There is a LED aux tank level gauge on the dash with a fuel transfer switch..Fast enough.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
XH Commander >>> Great websites, nice mods and photos of your rig !!!

Swiss's post was in 2007 and I don't believe he has been back on the forum since around mid 2008.

Once again I enjoyed your pages, I'll be looking at them more when I have more time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
XH Commander >>> Great websites, nice mods and photos of your rig !!!

Swiss's post was in 2007 and I don't believe he has been back on the forum since around mid 2008.

Once again I enjoyed you pages, I'll be looking at them more when I have more time.
Thanks USMC...I haven't been on this forum for some time...Time does fly when your having fun with your Jeep. Plenty I know still have their Commanders and reluctant to part with them...Pity they're out of production...Bad call by Chrysler/Jeep

Also there are a number of photos on the site from some of my offroad adventures which may be of interest....Can be accessed via my homepage or probably easier via the direct link: Commander Offroad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts