Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and looked at a 2007 WK Limited CRD today, and was very impressed with how it drove and rode. I was also impressed at the deal they want to make to get it off their lot. In short, I'd be trading my fiancee's BMW & my XK in on the truck, she'd take my BMW, and I'd drive the WK as a DD and tow for my trail rig. While I like the XK, 15 MPG and three car/insurance payments is a killer right now. If I do the deal, then my insurance & gas bills drop, my mileage goes up, and I have a DD that can also tow and do light wheeling. Plus my XK sits 80% of the time, and I personally can't justify that anymore. Currently waiting for Navy Federal to review my loan so I can finish the deal Monday or Tuesday.

If this goes through, I'll definitely have some stuff for sale this week or next.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice I wanted a CRD WK so bad but definately couldnt afford one with money rolling over from my last vehicle. Thats why we got the commander. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love my commander but a CRD Grand Cherokee would be amazing with a 2 inch OME lift and some 245/70R17 BFG KM2's.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I do this deal, I'm not going to lift it immediately, but when I do, it'll be either the 2" OME or the 4" Superlift.

Funny thing, since we don't sell cars on Sundays out here, I have time to think the deal over, starting to have a little remorse since I do like my Commander. Will think about it during the day tomorrow and Monday while waiting for the deal to clear.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think you should go for it! But isnt diesel really expensive right now. I believe it was like alomst 5 dollars a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's about $4.60 out here, and since I run premium in the XK, its not much more for me. The benefit of diesel is a more efficient and powerful engine and fuel that allows for better mileage and a longer cruising range.

When I explained my idea to my fiancee, she was initially hesitant until I ran the numbers, then she was on board with me on this. We're actually going to get rid of her car and she's going to take my BMW since its nicer, that way I can keep my toy long term since I'll have the family hauler initially (she doesn't like driving the XK). Once we both have better jobs, we can get another family car for her if she needs it, but that's a year away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I totally love my WK CRD. I have added a RR 2.25" lift and 255.75 BFG Muds from a JK Rubi. It is awesome, I get around 21-22 MPG mixed driving, and I am nowhere nice on the skinny pedal......my wife gets 24-26 when she drives it......

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You could always look into that bio-diesel and save a few dollars there.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't want to do that until after the warranty's up, don't want to give Chrysler any way to back out of a claim.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I'll stick around, there's another CRD guy and a 4Runner guy here, and this forum is nicer than most Jeep forums out there. If only Chrysler had put the CRD in the XK, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :(

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sunday's are good for retrospecitve thinking

cico7 said:
hate to see you go, but $$ is $$......
While spending today thinking about the CRD, and pulling some of the mods off my truck, I've had time to think about the deal and the finances that I'd need to make it work, as well as my "attachment" to the XK.

If I do this deal, I'm basically rolling over the negative equity from the XK (which is holding it from past impulsive car deals), which I still need to get rid of. Here's how everything breaks down:

Current car situation:
  1. XK, $628/month, ~450 insurance
  2. BMW 328 Ci, $308/month, ~300 insurance
  3. BMW 323 Ci, $301/month, ~300 insurance
Total: 1237/month, ~1150 insurance

CRD purchase:
  1. CRD WK, ~979/month, ~500 insurance
  2. BMW328 Ci, $308/month, ~300 insurance
Total: 1287/month, ~800 insurance

So by running the numbers, buying the CRD, while an awesome vehicle, is only saving me ~$300 on insurance semi-annually, and I'm still paying for the equivalent of three cars. However, if I sell one of the BMW's, here's how the numbers work:
  1. XK, $628/month, ~450 insurance
  2. BMW 328 Ci, $308/month, ~300 insurance
Total: 936/month, ~750 insurance

With this scenario, I'm saving ~$368/month on car and insurance.

Now that I've got the numbers out of the way and all laid out, the CRD deal isn't so hot after all. It will take me years to recoup the loss in value through more efficient fuel use with the CRD, and that doesn't make the deal worth it for me.

So, as I've had time to think and not be caught up in the circus that is the car buying experience, I'm leaning very hard toward the last scenario. That's the best of the three plans, saves me the most money, and doesn't get me further into debt on a car. I want to get off the car debt roller coaster, not continue riding it. My S.O. will go along with whatever I decide, but I'm still going to discuss this with her tonight, but I think my heart and mind are made up: I'm keeping the XK!:D

As I quoted you Cico, $$ is $$, and this is one situation where $$ is going to stay with me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
Oh, I'll stick around, there's another CRD guy and a 4Runner guy here, and this forum is nicer than most Jeep forums out there. If only Chrysler had put the CRD in the XK, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :(

they did in the UK :D

I looked at the WH ( international version of WK) and the advice i got wqas if i needed the 7 seats go for the XH if i didn't go for the WH.

thats what it canme down to for me.

oh and Bio diesel, the Merc CRD is only warrantied for B5, i think its to do with the lack of a standard for higher levels.

some of the US owners are looking at removing DPF and running it on higher blends now they are out of warranty

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, after taking a rational look at the numbers, its come down to this: have two cars and payments for three, or have two cars and payments for two, as well as a truck that I like and have invested a lot in. I'm better off staying where I am, the move isn't worth it for me.

Besides, I'm looking for new work that doesn't involve as much commuting, so the gas becomes a non-issue once I change jobs.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I'm glad to be sticking around.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Sounds like youput some thought into the decision, I think you made the right choice. I would have liked the mats but I am glad you will be keeping the XK. I closed the FS thread.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, go ahead and delete it for me if you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts