Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi , new member here. I'm a painting contractor with 7 years left until retirement. I've been driving a 2003 Chevy Express cargo van for the past 11 years. It's been a decent vehicle but it's rusting away. This time I want to go with an SUV type car and yesterday as I drove past my Mechanics shop I saw a 2006 Commander he has out front for sale. It's a 6 cylinder , 4x4 in very good condition. 120,000 miles. Price is $6500.00 Also I live in Maine so i want something that is good in the snow, my van is not.

I took it for a test drive , very smooth ride both at city speeds and up to 85 mph on the highway. I really liked it. My only hesitation is some of the complaints I've been reading online. It's does seem that the most common complaints:

1. Engine shutting off, or not starting at all.
2. Transmission not shifting correctly or staying in first gear.

From what I've read online it seems these can be attributed to electrical or computer software issues that are now corrected.
I'd like to hear from other owners before I make my final decision. I think this will make a nice work truck , plenty of room if i fold down the rear seats and I've looked into roof racks for longer ladders if necessary. Most of my work is interior now so I'm no longer moving a lot of big ladders.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I have a 06 and have had no big or intermittent problems so what you read are probably more the exception. Since you want something good in the snow find out if it has 4 wheel drive, some do not have. Also there were 3 types of 4 WD - Quadra Trac I, Quadra Trac II and Quadra Drive II, If it has a "Trail Rated" badge on the drivers side front fender it should be 4WD. There is a Chrysler site where you can put in the VIN number and get a build sheet which lists everything that was in it when built new. Go here and then click on "Equipment listing" https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
Hi , new member here. I'm a painting contractor with 7 years left until retirement. I've been driving a 2003 Chevy Express cargo van for the past 11 years. It's been a decent vehicle but it's rusting away. This time I want to go with an SUV type car and yesterday as I drove past my Mechanics shop I saw a 2006 Commander he has out front for sale. It's a 6 cylinder , 4x4 in very good condition. 120,000 miles. Price is $6500.00 Also I live in Maine so i want something that is good in the snow, my van is not.

I took it for a test drive , very smooth ride both at city speeds and up to 85 mph on the highway. I really liked it. My only hesitation is some of the complaints I've been reading online. It's does seem that the most common complaints:

1. Engine shutting off, or not starting at all.
2. Transmission not shifting correctly or staying in first gear.

From what I've read online it seems these can be attributed to electrical or computer software issues that are now corrected.
I'd like to hear from other owners before I make my final decision. I think this will make a nice work truck , plenty of room if i fold down the rear seats and I've looked into roof racks for longer ladders if necessary. Most of my work is interior now so I'm no longer moving a lot of big ladders.

Thanks
I would suggest reading this thread completely;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

Pretty much tells you everything you should be looking at and prerequisite steps to take before you buy a Commander.

Very good info in here as well that I'd suggest reading before you buy anything:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-required-reading-new-member-introduction-post-other-important-new-member-info.html

Looks alright in the pics you posted - but that really doesn't tell you much.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you do go with it, issues and all, I would definitely talk down the price. My 06 with 120k was $5.5 and I live in San Francisco, one of the most expensive places in the country.

When you buy one though, you’ll love it!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did the VIN search on the recalls and they have been done. Also looked up the equipment listing. This Jeep is a 3.7 V6 , 5 speed auto transmission. Qudra Trac l full time 4 wheel drive. I also ran a vehicle history report and it's clean. I'm going to take it out for one more drive before I decide. I like everything about it , now that I've read a lot more info on it I know what to look and listen for when I take it out. The owner was asking $6900.00 I asked if that was the best he could do he he went down to $6500.00 If i pull the trigger on it I may flash $6000.00 in cash at him and see if he takes it. There's a 2006 Chevy van like the one I've been driving for the past 11 years right down the street for $4500.00 so I've got some leverage, I can just tell him I'll buy that instead even though I don't want another van. Thanks again everyone for the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got one more question: I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and it seems most here are quite knowledgeable when it comes to working on these vehicles. I am not that kind of person , I know how to change a tire , check the oil, and refill the windshield fluid , that's it. So my question is would this truck be the wrong vehicle for me? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
I've got one more question: I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and it seems most here are quite knowledgeable when it comes to working on these vehicles. I am not that kind of person , I know how to change a tire , check the oil, and refill the windshield fluid , that's it. So my question is would this truck be the wrong vehicle for me? Thanks
I'm not really sure what you mean....I'm no mechanic either - but I know how to use a set of tools and have some common sense.

That being said, I also know my limitations and I take my Commander into Chrysler/Jeep on a regular basis for almost all of it's service & maintenance unless it's something really simple. One of the main reasons I do this is to keep the service history well documented in FCA's database.

However, most of the cosmetic interior & exterior modifications & customization I have done myself with the exception of the WAM front bumper and the Pioneer stereo installation.

You're potentially going to be buying a 12 year old SUV, so, you will inevitably find things wrong with it, no matter how nice it may look - no different than with any other 12 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, agree with Blue.

As long as you have some common sense, can follow directions, and work with some tools, you can actually do quite a bit yourself. I limit myself to anything electrical, even though I do a lot of electrical work around the house, I just don't mess with the vehicles electrical system. So when I add my light bars and rear bumper lights, I'll probably have those done for me. Everything else, minus engine and tranny, I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

For me, it's all about time, effort, and money!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took the Commander out for a decent ride yesterday. Took a lot of back roads here in Maine , including several unpaved roads. Put about 250 miles on it. I love this Jeep , every time I would see one on the road I would marvel at how cool they look, and now that I own one I'm blow away by what a pleasure it is to drive. In my travels I passed another commander , it was also black , had a lift kit and bigger tires and was covered in mud. Looked awesome. I definitely want to do that to mine at some point, it just looks great like that. Anyway I'm very please with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I know how to change a tire , check the oil, and refill the windshield fluid , that's it. So my question is would this truck be the wrong vehicle for me? Thanks

You do not have to be an ace mechanic to own a commander. Like any vehicle there are many simple things you can do on your own and others you need to have done. You can learn to do many things on this forum and like all forums those that know lead the discussions and those who are not so knowledgeable listen, ask questions and learn..

Sounds as if you are already enjoying your new ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on the new XK! So... what's the first thing you're going to do to it??
First thing will be to upgrade the speaker system. CD's sound good but it's not a crisp sounding as I'd like it to be. I'm a drummer and I really like to hear the cymbals. There's plenty of low end I just want cleaner high end.

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
First thing will be to upgrade the speaker system. CD's sound good but it's not a crisp sounding as I'd like it to be. I'm a drummer and I really like to hear the cymbals. There's plenty of low end I just want cleaner high end.
This is what you need JMD:

https://www.justforjeeps.com/kifr6x9sp3tw.html

https://www.justforjeeps.com/kiamup8.html

These components will give you the crispness you're looking for.

I have the full kicker upgrade package - including the kicker 77KICK10 6.5 inch rear door speakers; I've also swapped out my factory head unit with a Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit with Sirius XM Receiver.

I have a 10 inch self amplified Bazooka tube with it's own 100 watt amp that I'm getting installed in a couple of weeks for a little extra bass - THAT will be the icing on the cake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts