Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked in several places for a cold weather grille front, either snap in pieces or a vinyl cover up but have been unable to find one for the Commander. Has anyone else found such an item available, I am hoping it will help warm up the vehicle faster and improve MPG's.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is that what those things are for? My MPGs did not change at all driving from Reno to Green Bay and then Minneapolis back to San Diego any of the 3 times I have made the trip. I have done it in the summer in triple digit temps and this last time it was 25 below zero all the way across Wyoming on I 80. It was plenty warm inside and extreme cold outside and I had the Hemi running for over 10 hours straight that day. No probs. Just don't like spending money on unnecessary things

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
They are called 'Winterfronts'
I have not found one made for the Commander but they are available for the GC.
I keep forgetting to measure a GC grill, but I suspect it may be close enouph.

Company that makes them is up in Canada......Phia or Phila....maybe Fila, or Fia or something like that.....we use them on my sons fleet of diesel trucks.
If we don't, the fuel gels in the extreme cold and they quit running or won't go above 40 mph due to fuel flow restriction.

I do sometimes wish I had one on the Commander.....they do make for a quicker warmup and with the only incoming air below the bumper I am confident the cooling would still be satisfactory......as far as mileage....I can't imagine a gasoline engine experiencing any benifit....my opinion.

The Winterfronts come with a patented, plastic snap that has 3M tape on the backside and they simply stick to the grill.
The Winterfront, in turn, snaps onto those snaps, so, when removed the snaps remain.
Although visible, I don't find them objectionable.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if there would be any real change in MPG's with a gas vehicle either but even if the vehicle warmed up faster I wouldn't complain. I swear I lose about 3 mpg during the winter, I even took off my safari rack today just to get back some of my mileage. I knew I wasn't going to get stellar gas mileage when I bought the vehicle and for the most part I am not bothered by it but I figured if I'm not using the rack for awhile no sense wasting gas.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Have you documented your milage drop with/without the rack? What engine? Just curious. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Lower mpg is probably due to the colder, denser air going into the intake. Denser air needs more fuel to burn. 3mpg sounds like a lot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have looked in several places for a cold weather grille front, either snap in pieces or a vinyl cover up but have been unable to find one for the Commander. Has anyone else found such an item available, I am hoping it will help warm up the vehicle faster and improve MPG's.

Is it those 7 chromed pieces that attach in between the grills you're looking for? If it is, i have a set i'm not using. i was was gonna upload the picture but i don't know how yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it those 7 chromed pieces that attach in between the grills you're looking for? If it is, i have a set i'm not using. i was was gonna upload the picture but i don't know how yet.

Oh there it is, i got the picture after all

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you documented your milage drop with/without the rack? What engine? Just curious. :eek:rangehat:
Well just of today and yesterday my normal route with a couple extra stops I have picked up just under 2.5 mpg's and I run the V6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh there it is, i got the picture after all
Nope, not exactly what I am looking for, but thanks for posting anyway, those look like nice inserts. What I am talking about is typically a vinyl piece that covers the grille area or clip in pieces like you have that are solid plastic, Lund used to make them for GM pickups. Your inserts do look like they would cut down on airflow though, I wonder if they might work?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nope, not exactly what I am looking for, but thanks for posting anyway, those look like nice inserts. What I am talking about is typically a vinyl piece that covers the grille area or clip in pieces like you have that are solid plastic, Lund used to make them for GM pickups. Your inserts do look like they would cut down on airflow though, I wonder if they might work?
don't really know, i didn't put them back when i changed the black grill to chrome. i thought it wouldn't look good on the chrome grill and it may impede with the cooling. it's warm here in the west coast.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Winter drop in MPG

It is my understanding that fuel refineries switch to a winter blend of gasoline for the season and it is less efficient (thanks EPA). This is also why there is a small spike in fall and spring during the changeover between blends. Due to a temporary restriction on gasoline supply, the price is driven up. It's hard to notice as much in the last several years because of the yo yo effect we get from the middle east.........

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well i guess I will start cutting and spraypainting black pieces of cardboard to fit behind grille. Maybe i can get an infomercial or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts