Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all

I have some OEM cross bars, but I've lost some pieces to them. Don't remember what exactly I am missing... think it may be the bracket that grabs the roof rails. I know that some members have cobbled together some rails with conduit from box stores for cheap. Can anyone find some examples? My larger vehicle was totalled recently (asshat with no insurance ran into it) and i need to get 7 people plus baggage in the XK to the airport next thursday. I have a thule roof box, but am lacking functional crossbars atm. I also don't have a hitch, but I do have a hitch basket. I might look into adding a hitch if I can make it happen this weekend for a reasonable price.

Please help a brother out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you run out of options, uHaul may be able to install or sell you a hitch same day. I believe they pretty much always have them in stock.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Hey y'all

I have some OEM cross bars, but I've lost some pieces to them. Don't remember what exactly I am missing... think it may be the bracket that grabs the roof rails. I know that some members have cobbled together some rails with conduit from box stores for cheap. Can anyone find some examples? My larger vehicle was totalled recently (asshat with no insurance ran into it) and i need to get 7 people plus baggage in the XK to the airport next thursday. I have a thule roof box, but am lacking functional crossbars atm. I also don't have a hitch, but I do have a hitch basket. I might look into adding a hitch if I can make it happen this weekend for a reasonable price.

Please help a brother out. Thanks guys.
lucky check out this thread;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/62161-2006-xk-build-daily-driver-weekend-warrior.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the shared post, BB.

Lucky7, I used Unistrut bars from the big box store. One piece will make 2 bars easily. You may want to grab two pieces and create 4 bars to just sure up any weight issues. I'm sure I will soon enough. I also used EMT Spring Nuts with 3/8ths inch bolts / nuts and some large washers. Implemented some radiator mount bushings that will last, and when tightened, leveled out the bars. You can use composite shims if you prefer, but I couldn't find any large enough to work. They do exist though. Just found an alternative.

This is a LOW profile look, but you can use multiple washers to raise it a bit. I wanted it off the truck to enough be able to rinse the top without water being pooled, but high enough to slip mounting brackets under for a rack. The roof is bowed enough to basically put the bars on the roof and still have room toward the edge. With some weight, my bars may touch the truck as it's literally a paper thin gap. I just put some protection (body shop had some clear protective tape sheets) under the bars to keep the paint from scratching. You can use almost anything for this.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the shared post, BB.

Lucky7, I used Unistrut bars from the big box store. One piece will make 2 bars easily. You may want to grab two pieces and create 4 bars to just sure up any weight issues. I'm sure I will soon enough. I also used EMT Spring Nuts with 3/8ths inch bolts / nuts and some large washers. Implemented some radiator mount bushings that will last, and when tightened, leveled out the bars. You can use composite shims if you prefer, but I couldn't find any large enough to work. They do exist though. Just found an alternative.

This is a LOW profile look, but you can use multiple washers to raise it a bit. I wanted it off the truck to enough be able to rinse the top without water being pooled, but high enough to slip mounting brackets under for a rack. The roof is bowed enough to basically put the bars on the roof and still have room toward the edge. With some weight, my bars may touch the truck as it's literally a paper thin gap. I just put some protection (body shop had some clear protective tape sheets) under the bars to keep the paint from scratching. You can use almost anything for this.
I've seen the unistrut used before. That could work for me.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's what I'm playing with right now. Using 1/2" hardware cuz I like overkill. I liked the rubber bushing idea, couldn't find anything local til I came across some solid rubber plugs at ace hardware... Drilled a hole threw em. Autoparts stores don't carry bushings? Stupid.

I'll trim the bolt to length it's probably 1/2" too long or so. I got 3 1/2" cuz 3" looked too short. Wrong.

$5 for rubber plugs
$34 for 10' unistrut, undercoating, primer, 1/2" hardware. The primer and undercoating were like $12 of that... Could do this project for real cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks good. I'm happy with mine. Much better look being low profile in my opinion. Nice job

Autoparts stores not carrying rubber bushings is nuts, for sure... My buddy runs a body shop, so we pulled some out of a tool box full of them, lol. Was wondering why they hoarded them. Now I know why. You can't find them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Found some perfect square washers for this.

And some neoprene washers to keep from marring up the top of the rail.

Probably none of that is necessary, but it was a few more $$ and it'll make me feel a bit better about it. I noticed some of my washers were bending a little bit when I did a test install.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got mine up there. Less than a fingers width between the middle of the bars and the roof which I like, makes no noise on the freeway surprisingly.

Downside Is there is no room to use my thule adventurer box with its supplied hardware. Luckily I hate that crap. Ill be drilling some holes and using strut bolts to attach it tonight, and Im leaving @ 5 am tomorrow with the family crammed into this thing so hopefully it works out ok.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting option. Much more expensive than what I used, but that would be way cheaper than factory options

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did end up with the cross bars tapping the roof after I got it loaded up. I took a rubber drawer liner out of my toolbox a wedged it under there for now. Worked perfectly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts