Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,977 Posts
That was a one of a kind highly customized Commander by American Expedition Vehicles for the 2006 SEMA show. They have been contacted by members here before and the molds for the flares are not for sale. And even if you could get them they would not fit because the rear axle on this Commander was moved back 5 inches. The front wheel well was also modified. As far as I know nobody makes aftermarket flares for the Commander. Making the molds would be very expensive for an unsure market.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Those would be a nice flares if become available.
Personally, I wouldn't be interested in these even if they were available. I've never been a fan of the bolt on fender flare look.

Now that being said, if someone was going to start producing these - or even take orders for them, I think it would have happened by now.

Even though we are a very dedicated, tight-knit community of Commander owners I'd say in general, the demand for custom Commander parts is probably going down not up which doesn't give a manufacturer a lot of incentive to start producing something new that doesn't have a proven market.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Steel Armadillo made some bolt on STEEL flat flares, now those were trick. If there was enough demand all at once, you might be able to get them to do another run...

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Steel Armadillo made some bolt on STEEL flat flares, now those were trick. If there was enough demand all at once, you might be able to get them to do another run...
Steel Armadillo's name gets thrown around a lot on this forum.

They make very little now in the way of Commander parts.

This all they have to offer at present: Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Steel Armadillo's name gets thrown around a lot on this forum.

They make very little now in the way of Commander parts.

This all they have to offer at present: Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010
Ok, and your point is.....???? I'm just trying to give the OP some alternate options. We're dealing with a vehicle that was only produced for 4 model years and has been out of production for effectively 7 years. There was never all that much aftermarket support for the XK platform to begin with. Could THAT be the reason "they make very little now"? All I am saying is that they DID make the flares, and MAYBE if there's a significant demand or a several orders they MAY consider producing a few sets. I know for a fact that the OP will NEVER convince AEV to reproduce any sets of a one off custom flare built for a one off custom vehicle they built almost 15 years ago, however, SA may be swayed by cash in hand to make a few sets of a product they have made. Steel is pretty easy to fabricate and they already have the specs to build it versus a plastic one off part. I assume their name gets "thrown around a lot" is because their one of a VERY FEW aftermarket sources that still support the XK.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Ok, and your point is.....???? I'm just trying to give the OP some alternate options. I assume their name gets "thrown around a lot" is because their one of a VERY FEW aftermarket sources that still support the XK.
Well since you asked Rick, I guess my point is that Steel Armadillo offers next to nothing for Commanders anymore - but contrary to your above statement - which is completely false by the way - there are plenty of places around that have a lot more to offer like the ones listed below;

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - http://www.absilo.com/wam_bumpers

Catch my drift now?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Ummm, are you deliberately trying to start a fight here friend? Seems like you enjoy crapping all over people's posts and acting like you're an expert on all things Commander here. I am definitely not, nor do I pretend to be, nor do I post simply to boost my post count.
What part of what I said was false? The fact that the Commander was in production from 06-10? The fact that they've been out of production for 7 model years? The fact that AEV will NOT makes those flares? The fact that there are very few aftermarket suppliers (and I don't mean OE parts, yeah sure, you can get parts at PepBoys or NAPA, but not AFTERMARKET parts) compared to the JK, TJ, YJ, XJ, not to mention Toyota, Ford, Chevy, or Land Rover? I guaranty that the aftermarket suppliers are quite limited compared to just other Jeep platforms. When is the last time you saw a new Commander part at SEMA??
Since I've been a member of this forum since 2009, I've always felt the overall intent of the group is to HELP other owners. I've posted a "How To" to help people with issues. I've met up with other members to lend a hand turning wrenches and go on trail runs. I only tried to offer the OP an additional option for fender flares, and opined that they were pretty trick looking and maybe they would be willing to make a limited number of sets if several of us showed interest with cash in hand. I fail to see what you possibly added by commenting about the lack of their selection of parts except to just be contrary. Maybe I'm wrong, but re-reading some of your replies to my posts, but you appear rather hostile and judgemental. Hopefully, I'm just missing your tone and context. Trail on, Jeepers! :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Ummm, are you deliberately trying to start a fight here friend? The fact that there are very few aftermarket suppliers (and I don't mean OE parts, yeah sure, you can get parts at PepBoys or NAPA, but not AFTERMARKET parts) Maybe I'm wrong, but re-reading some of your replies to my posts, but you appear rather hostile and judgemental. Hopefully, I'm just missing your tone and context. Trail on, Jeepers! :bigthumb:
My point was that Steel Armadillo makes very little for Commanders at present and that steering someone there probably wasn't the best option.

I'm not hostile or judgemental but if that's your perception, I can't change that - but perception is not reality by any stretch.

Your statement that I bolded (and that's all I included because that's all you said initially when I responded - the comparison to aftermarket parts for this auto-maker and that auto-maker you added in your next post after I posted my initial response) is not very accurate.

I have already showed several companies that still offer a good selection of after-market parts for Commanders.

And no, you won't see anything at SEMA for Commanders because they have been out of production for so long, which goes without saying - but that has no bearing on the fact that there are still plenty of companies offering after-market and custom parts for Commanders.

Steel Armadillo just wasn't a very good example - that was my point, sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So, back to what the OP was asking...

There is someone who bought the original molds for those flares. I just don't remember if he posted her or on the Ultimate Jeep forum. Maybe this was the same guy who bought (and later sold) the original AEV Commander? Keep searching. The info is out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts

There is someone who bought the original molds for those flares. I just don't remember if he posted her or on the Ultimate Jeep forum. Maybe this was the same guy who bought (and later sold) the original AEV Commander? Keep searching. The info is out there.
Just out of curiosity, do you recall how long ago that might have been lekmedm?

·
Super Moderator
14,977 Posts

I don't remember anyone buying the molds, but you may be correct. It really doesn't matter though because they will not fit a regular Commander. The AEV Commander was highly modified with the rear axle moved back 5 inches with the wheel well enlarged. The front wheel well was also enlarged. So without a lot of body work they just won't fit. Well, I guess they would fit but they would look like s**t.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts