Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some ideas of what i want to do, but maybe someone out there had come up with something better. I'd like to mount the spare tire up there also, do keep that in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm a DIY kinda guy, I bought my commander with a blown engine, completely stock and have modded mine slowly but surely. I didn't come across any custom racks that I liked so I built my own. This is gonna sound funny to some people but I built mine out of ABS instead of bending and welding it together. Im very happy with the turn out, and my spare is on top. Since plastic obviously isn't as hard as steel, I'm going to be coating it with line-x when I'm completely finished with it. I'll post some picks for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I built side ladders to access the rack on both sides after the rack was installed and yes, it can support my weight. I ordered in some lights for the rack which will be going in on the front which you can see the spaces for. To buy something like this would cost at least a couple thousand, but with some creativity it cost me under $400 bucks. Also, out of everything I've done to my commander, building the racks have been the funnest project

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks man! It's still a work in progress, I just built the light rack and installed the lights and side bars. I'll post what it looks like as of today

·
Registered
44 Posts
Love it! What did you do to paint it? Or did you have a shop do it?

I plastidipped the car myself and did the rack with a matte black enamel. I haven't had a shop do any of the body work at all, just some engine work that I didn't wanna take on myself

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get more compliments and questions on the rack then anything else. Look up lineX or herculiner, once you coat it in that, it's extremely durable. I don't have much experience in welding so I had the idea to use ABS, it was a super fun project and did the rack, side ladders and light rack in a total of 20 hours by myself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah I do love the rack. Very unique and rugged. I figured you plasti dipped it. I have used plasti dip for many things on my XK including wheels. Did you coat it in LineX or Herculiner before plasti dipping it? This is something I will do eventually.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I do love the rack. Very unique and rugged. I figured you plasti dipped it. I have used plasti dip for many things on my XK including wheels. Did you coat it in LineX or Herculiner before plasti dipping it? This is something I will do eventually.

Wanted to finish the rack before I coated it, now it's done so that's the next step. I'll probably spray it with the same matte enamel if the coating isn't as matte as I want it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts