Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been reading a few threads here but have not been able to find all the information I need. I'm looking for new tires for my 06 Commander limited and hoping to get some recommendations.

- I live in NY and do not do any off roading. I need tires that are good in snow and rain.

- I don't like the view of the excess space within the wheel wells. I'm hoping to purchase tires that will decrease the excess space without making any other changes to the vehicle, i.e. the vehicle cannot be any higher than it already is in able to fit into my garage.

- I am interested in getting larger rims (20") but am not sure what changes will have to be made to the vehicle to accommodate them. If I get 20" rims will it cause the height of the vehicle to increase and what changes are necessary to accommodate them?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you take up more space then that means the overall diameter of wheel and tire is larger. That also means the Commander will be taller.

I recommend you measure the current clearance above your Commander to the door and that will tell you how much more tire height you can go. Remember the amount of increased height will half of the increased diameter (increase in radius).

Here's a link that will give you a tire size calculator. The stock tire and wheel size is 29.5 inches diameter.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Also you can go to a 20" rim and not increase the overall height if the tire heighth does not increase. Remember that both wheels & tires come in different heighths

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Its kind of hard to help you because you want to take up more space in the wheel well but you don't want the Jeep to be any higher. If you go with a 20" wheel and get a 29.5 inch diameter tire, it will still have the same space around the tire.

I'm not very familiar with 20's but I would think you could use that calculator I sent you and fill in some numbers and try to get the diameter to be close to 29.5 inches.

Did you want to go wider that 245? How wide? 265? 285...

If you want to keep the same height, the most economical way is to just get new tires on your existing rims, and stay with the stock size of 245/65/17. Then get a good all-terrain tread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts