Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Just purchased 08 Commander limited and had a Westin Bull Bar installed. I wasn't happy with how it gets mounted to the frame...it attached with 2 bolts to a mounting bracket (which displaced tow hook attachment holes) and allows itself to rock back and forth due to how the bolts attach to the mounting bracket. Even when I torque the bolts down...I am able to (with enough force) make the Bull bar rock backward and push into the bumper.
Does anyone have any experience with other brands of bull bar that are single piece and attach directly to the frame (via tow hook bolts holes, etc)??
Any advice or shared experience in this are would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Enter "Bull" into the search field and you will find many threads showing how to install different brands. there are a few out there that look really good but I would suggest you contact GetLost4X4(dot)com and see what his plans are for a bull bar as he has one in the planning stage, is a owner of a Commander & member of this forum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you can search for more details on my install of the bull bar

However, I don't really get the rock effect anymore after tightening the bolts every couple of weeks for a few months. The problem I do have is that it is offset by about a 1/4 inch on one side, and I have not been able to resolve that.

Generally with any bull bar install (except the Mopar I think) it attaches to the same location as the tow hooks. There are modifications that others have done to allow for both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enter "Bull" into the search field and you will find many threads showing how to install different brands. there are a few out there that look really good but I would suggest you contact GetLost4X4(dot)com and see what his plans are for a bull bar as he has one in the planning stage, is a owner of a Commander & member of this forum.
Thanks for the quick reply... I've been searching the forum and it's hard to figure out where function exceeds form (in terms of looks vs mounting stability). The Westin looks/looked good, but I don't see how it holds up against even minor pressure exerted on it (it rocks right into the bumper). It seems, for most all the bars I'm reading about, that the relationship between the bar and the bracket is all the magic..I was hoping there was a product out there that essentaially has the bracket forged as part of the bar itself. I'll keep pecking around...
Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can search for more details on my install of the bull bar

However, I don't really get the rock effect anymore after tightening the bolts every couple of weeks for a few months. The problem I do have is that it is offset by about a 1/4 inch on one side, and I have not been able to resolve that.

Generally with any bull bar install (except the Mopar I think) it attaches to the same location as the tow hooks. There are modifications that others have done to allow for both.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the tow hooks usually aren't going to stay...which is ok with me at the moment, I've seen some custom modifications made but that won't be me for awhile. The pictures and threads you posted were helpful but it sounds like you'll be in the same boat if the bar gets a good shot (the bar will rock into the bumber despite the torquing of the bolts). Maybe that's just the way it is with these bars unless someone is making a better/custom bracket or single forged piece that directly mounts to the frame. IMO, the bumper/brush gaurd accessories that additionally mount through the hood or grille are worse since they cause more damage than they protect against - maybe simple bull bar bumper damage is the happy medium in the end (easier/cheaper to repair).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts