Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2006 Hemi Commander with 84K miles. Looks to be in great shape. It does have more miles than I was hoping but I don't know much about the Hemi engine. It is otherwise in really nice shape.

I am not new to jeeps or chrysler vehicles. I currently have an 07 4dr Wrangler (I replaced the engine last year at 58K) and a 98 dodge ram (150k nearly problem free miles).

Is it realistic to see the Hemi make 150-180K without serious issues? It will probably see 10-12K miles a year. Anything to look for in an 06? Am I better off passing and just waiting for Jeep to release the Grand Wagoneer?

Thanks guys,
Bryan

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have 120K on my 07 Hemi. I change fluids on all systems at recommended intervals. If you do the same and get tune ups and brakes done as required, it should last well over 200K. I plan on going another 120K or more on mine.

I'll probably wear the seat out before anything else.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As everyone said, change fluids and perform services at the right intervals and you'll be good to go as with every motor. If its a major concern for you, buy an extended warranty, it will protect you from any major repairs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up picking up a 2010 Commander Limited with the Hemi. This one is just a little under the 50K mark. I am good about the routine maintenance and hope to see this one last at least until 150K without anything major. I am a little apprehensive about longevity since the only NEW vehicle I have ever bought needed a new engine at 58K. I am just hoping lightening doesn't strike twice in the same garage.

In the 20 miles I have put on the Hemi since last night, wow, what a difference from my JK with the 3.8 and my Ram with the 5.9. The Hemi is impressive!

Now I just have to figure out all the gadgets in the Commander, there are freaking buttons everywhere and I don't have a clue what anything does!

Its surprisingly nice having a vehicle the kids can get into themselves too. The wife is really happy with it too, though she was talking about lift and tires before she was done with the test drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you know which fourwheel drive system you have? Is there a marking anywhere? Anyplace show what the gear ratio is, or is there a standard for these?

I am gonna have to have the parts guy pull a build sheet for me so I know what this thing has.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Qd2 would have a badge by the shift knob that says "Quadra-Drive II". qt2 doesn't have that. Also if you look at the rear differential cover the number of bolts will tell you.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
How do you know which fourwheel drive system you have? Is there a marking anywhere? Anyplace show what the gear ratio is, or is there a standard for these?

I am gonna have to have the parts guy pull a build sheet for me so I know what this thing has.
Yes, get the build sheet. Then you will know exactly what you have. You can also get the build sheet free from Chrysler Customer Service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all, I am finding these jeeps to be fairly different than the jeeps I have been used too. It is nice seeing too jeeps in the garage though.

The rear diff has ten bolts on the cover. From what I have been finding these rear ends aren't the typical Dana or chrysler, seeing a lot of talk about corporate differentials. Is this what I have? What can you tell me about it? I really don't know if we will ever go much bigger than the stock tires, but I will be pulling a trailer quite often. How tough are these rear ends? We won't do any hard core offroading but we will do some dirt roads and maybe some light offroading/exploring.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Where are you guys located? I'm selling mine - I'm in the Pittsburgh area.

As stated, with proper maintenance, the Commander will last a long time.
He already bought one. See post #5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts