Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've done a ton of aftermarket radios in lots of Jeep models but never one in a Commander. I have a base 2007 model with what I believe to be the stock radio (no nav system, no CD changer, no satellite radio). The radio is black, has 6 programmable buttons, an aux jack, and a slot for a single CD. I don't think I have a factory amp but I'm not certain. How can I tell for sure? There's no badges saying I have Boston Acoustics anything. My understanding is there should be badges. The XK also does not have any radio controls on the steering wheel.

The radio I'm putting in is a single din Pioneer unit. A lot of research has led me to this dash kit:

I can't find what wire harness I need, however. Do I need an antenna adapter?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Hello all,

I've done a ton of aftermarket radios in lots of Jeep models but never one in a Commander. I have a base 2007 model with what I believe to be the stock radio (no nav system, no CD changer, no satellite radio). The radio is black, has 6 programmable buttons, an aux jack, and a slot for a single CD. I don't think I have a factory amp but I'm not certain. How can I tell for sure? There's no badges saying I have Boston Acoustics anything. My understanding is there should be badges. The XK also does not have any radio controls on the steering wheel.

The radio I'm putting in is a single din Pioneer unit. A lot of research has led me to this dash kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IOVXW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can't find what wire harness I need, however. Do I need an antenna adapter?

Thanks in advance.
The only question I can really answer for you is that if you have the Boston Acoustics sound system you would most definitely have Boston Acoustics badges on the 2 door speakers.

If they are not there, you don't have the Boston Acoustics system.

As far as I know, all of the stock Commander radios are Sirius XM satellite capable, it's just a matter of if you pay for the subscription or not.

Also if you are buying a new radio/head unit, it should come with whatever wiring you need to install it. I'm not sure why you think you'd need a new harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only question I can really answer for you is that if you have the Boston Acoustics sound system you would most definitely have Boston Acoustics badges on the 2 door speakers.

If they are not there, you don't have the Boston Acoustics system.

As far as I know, all of the stock Commander radios are Sirius XM satellite capable, it's just a matter of if you pay for the subscription or not.

Also if you are buying a new radio/head unit, it should come with whatever wiring you need to install it. I'm not sure why you think you'd need a new harness.
any aftermarket radio i ever bought required the purchase of a separate harness so that you don't have to cut the plug from the stock wiring in the dash. it's possible i'm calling it the wrong thing. maybe it would be better to call it an adapter?

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
any aftermarket radio i ever bought required the purchase of a separate harness so that you don't have to cut the plug from the stock wiring in the dash. it's possible i'm calling it the wrong thing. maybe it would be better to call it an adapter?
Maybe I was just misinterpreting what you were saying, but I see what you meant now. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to that question.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Look up your commander on crutchfield.com and select the head unit you want. When you go to check out, it will automatically select all necessary installation gear and include it for free. Often times once you consider that stuff comes free, their price is quite aggressive, but if nothing else it will show you which model number of harness adapter you need to get your install going. They also have awesome customer service if you need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look up your commander on crutchfield.com and select the head unit you want. When you go to check out, it will automatically select all necessary installation gear and include it for free. Often times once you consider that stuff comes free, their price is quite aggressive, but if nothing else it will show you which model number of harness adapter you need to get your install going. They also have awesome customer service if you need it.
wish i knew about these guys before i spent all this time doing research... lol. thank you SO much for recommending them. i'll post once everything comes in and i get a chance to do the install but you're right; once they add in the dash bezel, wiring harness, and antenna adapter, it was cheaper to get everything from them. i got a nicer stereo too for a better price than what was offered on amazon. hopefully this isn't too good to be true :rofl:

·
Registered
180 Posts
No problem. It's not too good to be true, I've done business with them many times and they are an awesome company. My other car I totally outfitted with around $1300 in aftermarket gear and a month later my car was totalled by a falling tree. After 45 days, they let me return everything with paid return shipping and a very reasonable restocking fee for the head unit since I had thrown away all original packaging and modified the harness rot my install. I was just reading a consumer reports 2015 magazine as I recall they were ranked number one or two in customer satisfaction. Really great customer-centric company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts