Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I decided to purchase a 5th full-size tire as a spare, and just do a 5 tire rotation. I picked up the new wheel/tire on Friday, and installed it Saturday as a part of my rotation schedule. I woke up to this today, Sunday:

I jacked up the car to take the weight off the wheel/tire and inflated it with my cheap emergency compressor to 32psi, drove it to the corner gas station and inflated it to 40.
Air is slowly leaking, so I'm taking it back to the shop where I purchased/balanced/mounted it.

I do not yet know if the leakage is from a hole in the tire, or poor mounting. My question is, if the leakage is due to poor mounting and can be fixed, should I be asking for a new tire altogether? Is having the weight of a Commander on a creased tire like that for a whole night damaging?

Edit: Just for clarification I was not offroading, The dirt is part of my parking lot and that is how I found it in the morning.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The tire should be fine. If it was a mounting issue, you could try and get a new tire, but they don't make what they used to on rubber (unless you went full retail or something), so I'm not sure they would replace it regardless of their f-up. I wouldn't worry about it, personally. Just make sure they correct the problem, of course...

·
Administrator
6,244 Posts
I decided to purchase a 5th full-size tire as a spare, and just do a 5 tire rotation. I picked up the new wheel/tire on Friday, and installed it Saturday as a part of my rotation schedule. I woke up to this today, Sunday:

I jacked up the car to take the weight off the wheel/tire and inflated it with my cheap emergency compressor to 32psi, drove it to the corner gas station and inflated it to 40.
Air is slowly leaking, so I'm taking it back to the shop where I purchased/balanced/mounted it.

I do not yet know if the leakage is from a hole in the tire, or poor mounting. My question is, if the leakage is due to poor mounting and can be fixed, should I be asking for a new tire altogether? Is having the weight of a Commander on a creased tire like that for a whole night damaging?

Edit: Just for clarification I was not offroading, The dirt is part of my parking lot and that is how I found it in the morning.
ulv;

I resized your photo for you.

I appreciate that you are posting and contributing to the forum - but please, do not post images any larger than 576 x 1024 pixels.

Your original image was 1167 x 2074 pixels - twice the size of what's allowed.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts