Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 commander v8 automatic lost its drive going up wee hill , lots of smoke under bonnet , then frothy pink fluid leaking on road . forward drive would not work ,but luckily could reverse off road ,then reverse stopped working , I t appears the smoke was fluid on exhaust. when it cooled down after delivery to my yard on rescue truck. the gears seemed to work ok . I checked the fluid level, it was above the two cold check marks although at idle it was heating up very quickly . any ideas on what was the cause and how to fix? There is a pipe sort of in front and above trans. dip stick looks like air con pipe this had frozen condensation mist stuff on it.
cheers
Bo

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
956 Posts
Not a fun day for you, but welcome to the Commander forum.
Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with the Commander details
(1) Forum Rules / Vendor Rules | Jeep Commander Forum
To change your signature and other info - click on your avatar and then select "About"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats not easy thought you would have sent a link to what was required. I have filled out some stuff ,but no signature ? I dont think these things to fill in were there when I joined All the necessary criteria should have been there for me to join .All I wanted was a bit of information

·
956 Posts
Sorry thought it was in that link which is new to me. Try starting here - Click in the little avatar top right - picture attached. Then select the "Account Settings" that should do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It took me a minute to understand as well when I joined. The Commander came with several different engine and drive-line combinations. Not to mention a slew of options. The problem for one may not be the problem for another. Filling out your Jeep's info answers many questions right off the bat and let's members focus on 'your' Jeep for info and advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thats interesting, thought there was just v6 diesel and v8 petrol , I did notice 2 different horsepower on the 5.7 v8 need to update more info for admin .the paper work is with the jeep down at my yard
Cheers

·
956 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thats interesting, thought there was just v6 diesel and v8 petrol , I did notice 2 different horsepower on the 5.7 v8 need to update more info for admin .the paper work is with the jeep down at my yard
Cheers
On the reg paper it says Commander Limited Hemi A
Version 61
Variant. J1E82
MARCH 2006

·
Registered
132 Posts
@Pukipod, the head gasket has been damaged and the antifreeze got into cylinders. You'll have to overhaul the engine, sorry for bad news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No engine is champion thanks ?
Its a gearbox issue .I assume now that there are cooling pipes that run to radiator maybe some kind of thermostat not working causing gearbox to over heat as the gearbox is well sealed the leak must have come from the pipe . Was wondering if the wrong fluid could have been used , mineral and not synthetic

·
Registered
Jeep Commander 2008 4x4 4.7 V8
4 Posts
Having seen the pink foam and brown foam before here is my information. Pink foam is water or coolant mixing with the reddish transmission fluid. A brown foam is water or coolant mixing with the brownish engine oil. The good news is this sounds like a transmission problem. From what I've seen with Chrysler radiators and transmission coolers here is what it might be. Ultimately this one will need to be checked by a good mechanic that you trust.

Most modern automatic transmissions have a transmission cooler that uses part of the engine radiator for cooling. Basically there is a transmission cooler built into one of the radiator end tanks (one tank at either end of the radiator) and there are a pair of fittings where the lines from the transmission attach to the radiator end tank. It works well and it is a cost-effective method of cooling the transmission, at least on the manufacturing side of the equation.

Not so cost effective when the fitting point between the radiator end tank and the transmission cooler fail and engine coolant gets into the transmission fluid. That pink froth (also known as a pink milkshake) is the result of engine coolant or water getting into the transmission fluid. Typically is the only failure point in the transmission cooling system that can result in pink milkshake. The other possibility is that someone accidentally poured water or engine coolant into the transmission filler, which would be pretty hard to do.

The test for this is to look for engine coolant leaking from around the transmission cooling line fittings on the radiator end tanks. Or, more reliably, take it to a mechanic or dealer you trust and have them check for you. Avoid driving the vehicle as much as possible as the engine coolant is breaking down the transmission fluids ability to lubricate the transmission and permanent damage can occur.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for information I jacked it up and climbed under it appears that the transmission sump has had quite a knock and seems to be dented up .I didnt want to investigate too far as I didnt really trust the jack ,but I think the fluid was coming out the sump gasket .I could see the pipes to the radiator and they looked fine
Could this have impaired the lower sump filter and caused overheating?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts