Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 06 with the 5.7. Ive been noticing that between like 2000-2300 rpm area there is a loud dronning sound. The speed doesnt matter, 5mph, 37mph, 78mph...etc... If its in the rpm range it makes the noise. From my understanding these hemi engines, while VERY great engines, early models did have a tendancy to break header bolts creating exhaust leaks. Im thinking that exhaust gasses and pressures are creating the harmonics that make this sound. But im not 100% certain. Anyone have any ideas what i could do to test if this is what is indeed happening or possible look at something else? Ive only owned this for about 2 weeks and to my knowledge its 100% stock.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Is there a resonator on the exhaust pipe in the rear just before the pipe exits at the back? It is a small muffler and maybe the previous owner took it off for better performance? It's job is to eliminate the drone sound.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 06 4.7 did not have a second muffler (resonator). When I put a magnaflow on it, the 2k ish drone was noticeable. When that rotted, I had a local shop put it back to stock, the drone is pretty much gone but i would think without a resonator, it will always be somewhat noticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust system is all stock. Both muffler and resignator are there. The sound seems like it coming from the engine. My truck has the same engine and trans with modded exhaust. It also drones but thats to be expected on that one. My commander drone is different than my truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts