Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this experience. Does your commander after driving seem to make a louder than usually noise? Most vehicle will make some minor sounds after driving. My commander seems to sound like Big Ben. A loud bong like sound. Thoughts anyone. Maximo

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have it checked or hit it some more!!

I have no clue what you are talking about. Stainless exhausts pop, but no bong gurggling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will have it checked. This is my first Jeep so I didn't know if certain vehicles had certain personalities. maximo

·
Registered
128 Posts
my windows make a noise like their scracthing something, but no bong noise.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... As the engine is cooling down, there is a noise coming from the muffler that sounds like a spring boinging... right? My uncle is a mechanic and said it is just the muffler cooling off, but it is kind of embarassing when you are stopped getting gas and the thing boings like a bomb about to explode.... my jeep makes this noise while the engine is even running sitting in a drive-thru... good to know someone elses does it....ever had your jeep quit on you while driving? That's fun!!!:mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
My VW and Commander do it also... It just depends on what part of the exhaust is cooling down. The bong sound is just one of those crackling noises reverberating down the pipe / mounts (ever hit a long pipe? ... and I'm not talking about the smokey, gurggling one) as parts of the exhaust retract when cooling down.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I was losing my mind when I was trying to explain it. Good to know it is kinda common. maximo

·
Registered
4 Posts
My experience with other cars is that the Loud BONG sound comes from the Fuel Pump.
I don't know the technical explanation but, basically, when you come to a halt after driving on the hiway, the excess gas recycles back throug the fuel system and a load BONG is heard as it releases pressure. Someone may suggest that what I'm saying is incorrect. But a real mechanic will know where I am going with this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts