Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Commandos - Has anyone else noticed some hard gear shifts, especially when braking? I get a "chunk" type of sound from time to time. And when stepping on the throttle, you can hear the gear kind of 'linking'.

This is my first 4x4. Is this normal or should I take it in for a look.

Ron
SoFla
'06 Commander 4x4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ron,

I know exactly what you are referring to. I have a 2wd Commander and the sound you are talking about comes from the rear of the vehicle, usually while the vehicle is downshifting on a slope is what my experience has been. The noise began around 850 miles and has not gotten any worse, but has not gone away either. My commander has 1250 miles on it now. I'm not sure what the story is. I am content to monitor the issue for now, and take it to Jeep when I get to the end of my patience. This is my first american made car ever. I love my Commander! I just hope Jeep does not make me regret this purchase.

-1999CUTIGER

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had it serviced (oil) and had the windshield whistling noise fixed (had to pull teeth to get them to do it), so not so sure they are going to want to see me drive up. But, will let you know what they say when I take it in.

Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told that it was "normal" and since it didn't throw any codes that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said that it was just an annoyance rather than a defect. I am anxious to hear what your dealer says.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The dealer guys could well be right. I own a '75 164E stick-shift Volvo, it's always had strange minor driveline noises - I'm the original owner, now 140k miles. Dealers always said 'don't worry about it'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did the software update correct your problem permanently? Did you have any further trouble with it afterwords? It seems a bit strange because it is hard to believe a computer issue would correct this rear end "clunk"

I sure hope it does though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.