Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep commander limited 5.7L Hemi
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Been following posts for some time now. I am at my wits end with my 06 limited 5.7 hemi. I'll try to be breif but detailed. Once again she's back at the dealer. From day 3 I had the transmission over temp. We found a new pcm and while waiting for it we did a complete engine check and fluid change. Trans fluid was done at the dealership along with the reprogramming on the new pcm. Also had bought a new tcm since the one in when I bought looked like a science project erupted all over the back seats. When we looked for a new tcm we found it at a dealer in Colorado. They also said the current one installed was the wrong part number for my vehicle. Got the correct tcm and took it and pcm to dealership. Dealership reprogrammed the pcm but did not do the tcm. 1 week later transmission over temp came back along with service 4wd. Also was at the store and car was in park but still rolling. Then after starting immediately stalled 3 or 4 times. Got it home and it went back to the dealer ship. Another week goes buy and they threw everything they could at me from wiring (all of which were checked and everything was reading correctly) to new transmission, transfer case etc. All of which were perfectly fine. Then after a week they said they had no idea what was wrong. That was the last time I dealt with them and there bullshit. So 1 month later still in a hot Arizona summer dealing with this transmission over temp and service 4wd. Replaced the trans case shift control module and sensors and fluids. Service 4wd still on. Played the reset game, key game and fuse game still nothing. Now I had the front dif lock up. Some choice f bombs and at a complete loss other than the new PCm crapping out and the tcm software flashing we are at breaking point and breaking the bank! Back at the dealership and they want $600 just to look at it. Well I about lost my mind on the service guy. Called Chrysler since the p73 shows it was done 1 year ago according to recall hotline but shocking the dealership does not have record of it being done on a service report. But the other recall they did the same day shows a service record. Before I drive the car through corporates front door for this never ending issue does anyone have any recommendations? Highly car savy and trust me when I say everything thing that does not require the dealership to be involved (like this computer bullshit) has been gone over, pulled apart, flushed, replaced, checked and checked again had been done.... And using all Mopar fluids and parts. Thousands later and not willing to dump another fee grand Into failing computers. Any non smart a** advise would be kindly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
That is frustrating. One thing to possibly look at is the Junction Block as it has some transmission circuits going through it. If you were to try replacing it it may be hard to find especially since each is a little different on every Commander. Not an expensive part and fairly easy to replace. See my write up Junction Block explained

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Hi everyone! Been following posts for some time now. I am at my wits end with my 06 limited 5.7 hemi. I'll try to be breif but detailed. Once again she's back at the dealer. From day 3 I had the transmission over temp. We found a new pcm and while waiting for it we did a complete engine check and fluid change. Trans fluid was done at the dealership along with the reprogramming on the new pcm. Also had bought a new tcm since the one in when I bought looked like a science project erupted all over the back seats. When we looked for a new tcm we found it at a dealer in Colorado. They also said the current one installed was the wrong part number for my vehicle. Got the correct tcm and took it and pcm to dealership. Dealership reprogrammed the pcm but did not do the tcm. 1 week later transmission over temp came back along with service 4wd. Also was at the store and car was in park but still rolling. Then after starting immediately stalled 3 or 4 times. Got it home and it went back to the dealer ship. Another week goes buy and they threw everything they could at me from wiring (all of which were checked and everything was reading correctly) to new transmission, transfer case etc. All of which were perfectly fine. Then after a week they said they had no idea what was wrong. That was the last time I dealt with them and there bullshit. So 1 month later still in a hot Arizona summer dealing with this transmission over temp and service 4wd. Replaced the trans case shift control module and sensors and fluids. Service 4wd still on. Played the reset game, key game and fuse game still nothing. Now I had the front dif lock up. Some choice f bombs and at a complete loss other than the new PCm crapping out and the tcm software flashing we are at breaking point and breaking the bank! Back at the dealership and they want $600 just to look at it. Well I about lost my mind on the service guy. Called Chrysler since the p73 shows it was done 1 year ago according to recall hotline but shocking the dealership does not have record of it being done on a service report. But the other recall they did the same day shows a service record. Before I drive the car through corporates front door for this never ending issue does anyone have any recommendations? Highly car savy and trust me when I say everything thing that does not require the dealership to be involved (like this computer bullshit) has been gone over, pulled apart, flushed, replaced, checked and checked again had been done.... And using all Mopar fluids and parts. Thousands later and not willing to dump another fee grand Into failing computers. Any non smart a** advise would be kindly appreciated!
@Jenjenvan ;

Let me start by saying, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that your going through all of this.

That being said, I edited your post; Please do not post any profanity on the forum, no matter how frustrated you get.

I'm not trying to chase you away, I'm really trying to help you, just please obey the forum rules.

I'll start by saying, if you don't have an OBD-II scanner, get one.

If you plan on keeping your Commander for any length of time, trust me, you'll need it and it's not hard to use, it will plug right into your maintenance port on the bottom left side of your dash. It's very useful for easily & accurately pulling DTC's, as well as clearing them.

Now that that is out of the way, here is an excellent resource to help you with troubleshooting Transmission issues;

Jeep Commander Transmission Problems & Cost | 545RFE | W5A580 (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

As far as the P73 campaign, I have personal experience with this one, which is a re-flash of the Final Drive Control Module. I've attached a copy of the P73 Campaign notice below, in case you want to print it out & take it with you, when you go back to the dealership;

I have heard instances, from some forum members that I trust, who had to have the re-flash of the Final Drive Control Module done 3 times consecutively, in order for it to properly take - but that was not my experience, when I had it done.

If the P73 FDCM re-flash does not solve your problem, there is a chance that one of the actuator motors (I believe there are 2 of them) on your transfer case is bad, which will give you the exact same symptoms.

Here is another good thread on the subject for reference;

4WD System Service Light | Page 11 | Jeep Commander Forum

Please let me know if there is anything else, I can try to do to help you out.

Also, when you have a spare few minutes, please complete your user profile signature as directed below.

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, I know it's a lot of information to digest all at once.

I hope it's helped you on some level & Welcome to the forum!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is frustrating. One thing to possibly look at is the Junction Block as it has some transmission circuits going through it. If you were to try replacing it it may be hard to find especially since each is a little different on every Commander. Not an expensive part and fairly easy to replace. See my write up Junction Block explained
Thank you I will look into that and update when I get the car back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Jenjenvan ;

Let me start by saying, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that your going through all of this.

That being said, I edited your post; Please do not post any profanity on the forum, no matter how frustrated you get.

I'm not trying to chase you away, I'm really trying to help you, just please obey the forum rules.

I'll start by saying, if you don't have an OBD-II scanner, get one.

If you plan on keeping your Commander for any length of time, trust me, you'll need it and it's not hard to use, it will plug right into your maintenance port on the bottom left side of your dash. It's very useful for easily & accurately pulling DTC's, as well as clearing them.

Now that that is out of the way, here is an excellent resource to help you with troubleshooting Transmission issues;

Jeep Commander Transmission Problems & Cost | 545RFE | W5A580 (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

As far as the P73 campaign, I have personal experience with this one, which is a re-flash of the Final Drive Control Module. I've attached a copy of the P73 Campaign notice below, in case you want to print it out & take it with you, when you go back to the dealership;

I have heard instances, from some forum members that I trust, who had to have the re-flash of the Final Drive Control Module done 3 times consecutively, in order for it to properly take - but that was not my experience, when I had it done.

If the P73 FDCM re-flash does not solve your problem, there is a chance that one of the actuator motors (I believe there are 2 of them) on your transfer case is bad, which will give you the exact same symptoms.

Here is another good thread on the subject for reference;

4WD System Service Light | Page 11 | Jeep Commander Forum

Please let me know if there is anything else, I can try to do to help you out.

Also, when you have a spare few minutes, please complete your user profile signature as directed below.

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this, I know it's a lot of information to digest all at once.

I hope it's helped you on some level & Welcome to the forum!!
Thank for the information and sorry for the language. I do have a scanner and it's well used with my jeep, lol! To update my post onthe status with my car. So after some investigating I found out the p73 recall was done 1 year ago. Recall work has a 2 year warranty. Also has a clause to which if anything else has been damaged and/or replaced the dealer will submit with the service paperwork. Now the other issue which isn't really mine but 2 dealerships in 2 different local cities both show doing the recall on the same day. Like I said that isn't my problem but very interesting. I'm currently still waiting to hear back from the dealership, shocking! But as I see it there is a small light at the end of the tunnel and since I've already replaced all the motors, sensors and actuators with Mopar parts and still getting service 4wd and the front dif locking up. The root cause in my opinion is the fdcm. Knock on wood!

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Thank for the information and sorry for the language. I do have a scanner and it's well used with my jeep, lol! To update my post onthe status with my car. So after some investigating I found out the p73 recall was done 1 year ago. Recall work has a 2 year warranty. Also has a clause to which if anything else has been damaged and/or replaced the dealer will submit with the service paperwork. Now the other issue which isn't really mine but 2 dealerships in 2 different local cities both show doing the recall on the same day. Like I said that isn't my problem but very interesting. I'm currently still waiting to hear back from the dealership, shocking! But as I see it there is a small light at the end of the tunnel and since I've already replaced all the motors, sensors and actuators with Mopar parts and still getting service 4wd and the front dif locking up. The root cause in my opinion is the fdcm. Knock on wood!
It's quite possible;

Like I said earlier, there are some forum members who I trust, that have told me, they had to have the FDCM reflashed 3 times consecutively, for it to take properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that as well. The dealership that I went to first was supposed to do that. But like I said they wanted to sell me everything they could without a clear diagnosis. I called the new dealership friday and they were just starting to look at it. I told them the main reason it's here is for the p73 and also called the recall hotline again. I'm sure the dealership will do the song and dance and throw a list of parts at me. But if any of it is directly linked to the p73 software recall, it's all covered under that. Dealerships never really listen and that's why years ago I got fed up with not knowing about cars. They think they see a tiny blond walk in and she hasn't a clue about cars. Many times I've put them in there place. I sure don't know everything but I know more than most. This jeep is awesome when it doesn't have an attitude but she's got attitude everyday lol!

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
I have heard that as well. The dealership that I went to first was supposed to do that. But like I said they wanted to sell me everything they could without a clear diagnosis. I called the new dealership friday and they were just starting to look at it. I told them the main reason it's here is for the p73 and also called the recall hotline again. I'm sure the dealership will do the song and dance and throw a list of parts at me. But if any of it is directly linked to the p73 software recall, it's all covered under that. Dealerships never really listen and that's why years ago I got fed up with not knowing about cars. They think they see a tiny blond walk in and she hasn't a clue about cars. Many times I've put them in there place. I sure don't know everything but I know more than most. This jeep is awesome when it doesn't have an attitude but she's got attitude everyday lol!
@Jenjenvan ;

I totally understand.

The only other thing they could come at you with, is if 1 of the 2 actuator motors on your transfer-case is actually bad.

They are known to fail & that would give you the same symptoms as the P73 campaign.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealership and they said they reflashed the fdcm and nothing. Now they say I have a water pump leak and pulling a transfer case clutch code. Other dealership made zero mention of the water pump nor did I see that. But there still looking at the car. Wouldn't the clutch be part of the fdcm issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm confused cause the only other actuator on the transfer case is the shift solenoid and then the others that aren't on the transfer case is for the limited slip dif

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
I'm confused cause the only other actuator on the transfer case is the shift solenoid and then the others that aren't on the transfer case is for the limited slip dif
I don't have limited slip differentials because I have QT-II not QD-II.

The Dealership service dept. manager I talked to, specifically told me there are 2 actuator motors on the transfer case. One in the front which is very difficult to get to and one further back towards the rear of the transfer case, which is easier to get to.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
I have a front solenoid and a rear. I just replaced the front before bringing it to the dealer.
@Jenjenvan ;

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but, if the FDCM re-flash, does not fix your issue, there is the possibility that the rear actuator motor/solenoid could be bad.

This is obviously ruling out the front actuator motor/solenoid, since you just had it replaced.

When I had this problem, just prior to the P73 campaign being released, it was the rear actuator motor on my transfer case that they replaced, that solved my specific issue - which was not being able to drop down into 4-LOW and having the Service 4WD system light on.

I probably should have asked you this sooner, but, I'll ask you now;

When your Service 4WD system light came on, did you ever try to shift into & out of 4-LOW?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I know and I thank you for your help. Ive also replaced that too since the front solenoid didn't seem to fix it either. The dealership is so focused on selling me a bunch of new parts that I don't need that even when I say to flash the FDCM because the original one that was in there was the wrong part it needs to be reflashed under that recall and they just don't want to hear it. That's if I can get them to even pick up the phone at this point. I'm beyond frustrated and fed up with the dealership and no response from them other than here will sell you a new transmission.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Oh I know and I thank you for your help. Ive also replaced that too since the front solenoid didn't seem to fix it either. The dealership is so focused on selling me a bunch of new parts that I don't need that even when I say to flash the FDCM because the original one that was in there was the wrong part it needs to be reflashed under that recall and they just don't want to hear it. That's if I can get them to even pick up the phone at this point. I'm beyond frustrated and fed up with the dealership and no response from them other than here will sell you a new transmission.
No problem, I'm happy to try & help when I can.

I probably should have asked you this sooner, but, I'll ask you now;

When your Service 4WD system light came on, did you ever try to shift into & out of 4-LOW?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my car back from the dealer. They reflashed the fdcm and service 4wd is off and so far no transmission over temp. They claim I had no coolant which is crap cause we just replaced/flushed. They claim there's a water pump leak which still no sign of that we can see. Also said might need a transfer case but not totally sure and they can't find one. I found 1 on Mopar website. My question is so since they reflashed and now my service 4wd is off shouldn't that be covered under warranty? They charged 348 dollars.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Got my car back from the dealer. They reflashed the fdcm and service 4wd is off and so far no transmission over temp. They claim I had no coolant which is crap cause we just replaced/flushed. They claim there's a water pump leak which still no sign of that we can see. Also said might need a transfer case but not totally sure and they can't find one. I found 1 on Mopar website. My question is so since they reflashed and now my service 4wd is off shouldn't that be covered under warranty? They charged 348 dollars.
I wish you would have tried to go into 4-LOW when you had the Service 4WD System & Transmission Overtemp light on, that would have given a better indication of what was actually wrong.

Do me a favor @Jenjenvan ;

Shift down into 4-LOW. Drive it like that for a minute and then shift back into 4-HI (regular driving mode).

The Final Drive Control Module (Along with the 2 actuator motors on the transfer case) is what actually shifts your transfer case into & out of 4-LOW. The only way you're going to know for certain if it's actually fixed, is to drop down into 4-LOW, drive it for a minute, stop & then shift back into 4-HIGH.

If you shift into & out of 4-LOW without the Service 4WD light coming on again, I'd say you're probably good. If that Service 4WD system light immediately comes back on again, then they just cleared the DTC's so the lights would go off - but didn't actually fix the problem.

Whatever warranty you get for the parts & labor is whatever that dealership's policy is - typically it's 30 days I believe. If you are the original owner, then you could have the life-time Warranty that I've always heard about, but I couldn't tell you what exactly it covers, because I don't have any experience with it, since I am the 2nd owner of my XK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well got the jeep back and she is running better than ever! Knock on wood it lasts! So they tried to sell a new water pump (which has nothing to do with the 4wd) and a new transfer case. I brought it in to have them reprogram the fdcm under the recall and they were dead set on that was not the issue. After a long drawn out broken record of telling them to reprogram it... oMG the service 4wd is gone along with transmission over temp. Seriously mechanic know it all!! They still claim that wasn't the issue and wouldn't show me any codes that were coming up after it was reprogrammed and claim they didn't change. pretty sure they did cause all warning lights are gone and she is alive again! Like I said love hate relationship and right now I'm loving her! So I will still submit the $400 bill to them under that recall and hopefully they will cover it but with everything I've gone through I highly doubt Chrysler will do anything! Fingers crossed and trying to stay positive.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
I hope this type of problem is covered under my lifetime power train Warrantee as I know Medicare will not cover it if it happens to me. :giggle:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts