Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article makes me feel bad.
Stuck in sales
What are your thoughts? I'm not trolling for a flamewar or something, but it seems like he just pulled his facts out of his backside. I know if I saw the Grand Cherokee and the Commander side by side, I would pick the Commander as the better one everytime. To tell you the truth the Jeep faithful (who are these guys btw?) should feel scorned since the shortwheel based Wrangler is going away, not because a Wagoneer throwback has shown up?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Well, the article does make a good point--people may cross-shop both the Commander and Grand Cherokee. The size and the price are too similar to ignore. Personally, I like the Commander better.

Another good point made was the fact that the new Chevy Tahoe is selling very well. I can't believe how many of those things I see on the roads already, especially considering the fact that they haven't even been out that long! High gas prices or not, it looks like Chevy has a sorely needed hit on their hands.

The Commander does look an awfully lot like an old Cherokee, so I wonder if the styling could possibly be hurting sales. Either way, it makes for some awesome discounts for those still interested in purchasing a Commander, but it hurts the resale value of those who already own one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
that guy obviously just didn't like the Commander - it's got gobs more room (head room, shoulder room, leg room) than the Grand Cherokee, I guess due to the boxy styling.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
TPS said:
that guy obviously just didn't like the Commander - it's got gobs more room (head room, shoulder room, leg room) than the Grand Cherokee, I guess due to the boxy styling.
I don't think he even offered his pesonal opinion of the Commander. His article is based upon the poor sales.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are so many mixed reviews about the sales of the XK who knows what to beleive.

One BIG question I have - Where is the marketing for the XK??? :confused:

Early on - in late 05 to early 06 there were many commercials showing off the Commander... now I hardly every see them. Yet - I see LR3 commercials EVERYWHERE. Come On DCX - if you want to sell product - you have got to get in the face of the buyer! :rolleyes:

Example: I was actually close to purchasing another LR when I saw the Commander commercial and was hooked. Love the looks and the handling is superior to the RR I was driving and the LR-3 I was about to order. Had I not seen the commercial I would not be in this forum and be driving an LR3 :eek:

·
Registered
541 Posts
the only commercials where the commander appears also show Jeep's other models. That is very poor advertising since the commander is NEW, it needs to get more focus and priorities. It is a new product for God's sake, give it more emphasis in your ads.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I cross compared the JC with the GC and I like the commander better.
One reason was the fact that the GC with a v6 was the same price as the JC with the 4.7 And I also did not like the way the doors looked like they werent shut all the way. As for the third row, I shoved a 7yr old, 23 and 25yr old back there yesterday. They are all skinny bastards but they fit just fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
" In my opinion,"the key words in his article....the tahoe is nice but is bigger than the commander and the grand cherokee to me is less jeep like than the commander.7 pass , towing abilities and size was the only choice for my wife and I.oh and BTW i do disagree in our club we have purchased already and we are jeep faithful family

·
Registered
527 Posts
Re: NO Love loss for Commander.

Here once again, I am proud to go against the popular opinion.... The Commander is the First Jeep in 15 years that brought me back into the fold. The Commander is a DCX marketing disaster, NOT an engineering disaster. Thus, it is a sales disaster... I only knew about the Commander because I read all the auto rags. Everywhere I go, people ask "what is that?" It is AWESOME. My dad has NEVER seen one on the road other than mine, had no idea what it was. My prediction? Just a slow start......

CDX needs to pull its head out of Dodge's hmmhmm...... and start marketing this car for what it is, an Explorer/4Runner/Pathfinder/Xterra/H3/ KILLER. Seriously, I think this Jeep combines the Best of all these vehicles, and does so with a distinctly American Flair. I love the Commander, and havent been this happy with a vehicle purchase since I bought my 442 in 1986.... I still have that car.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Re: NO Love loss for Commander.

Bulldog9 said:
Here once again, I am proud to go against the popular opinion.... The Commander is the First Jeep in 15 years that brought me back into the fold. The Commander is a DCX marketing disaster, NOT an engineering disaster. Thus, it is a sales disaster... I only knew about the Commander because I read all the auto rags. Everywhere I go, people ask "what is that?" It is AWESOME. My dad has NEVER seen one on the road other than mine, had no idea what it was. My prediction? Just a slow start......

CDX needs to pull its head out of Dodge's hmmhmm...... and start marketing this car for what it is, an Explorer/4Runner/Pathfinder/Xterra/H3/ KILLER. Seriously, I think this Jeep combines the Best of all these vehicles, and does so with a distinctly American Flair. I love the Commander, and havent been this happy with a vehicle purchase since I bought my 442 in 1986.... I still have that car.
IMO, the main reason for the creation of the Commander was to give Jeep an SUV with 3rd row seating. Think about it--boxier styling and 3rd row seating is what really differentiates the Commander from the Grand Cherokee. I'd bet that the Grand Cherokee is cannibalizing the overall sales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resale on these vehicles is going to be very bad so plan on driving it into the ground. I traded a 1999 RX300 with 110K miles in on a 06 Commander Limited. I got almost 10K for the RX300 and paid only 32.K for the Commander. I have seen slightly used Limited Commander's on E-bay already with only a few thousand miles for as low as 28K and this was the "Buy Now Price". I probably went from a vehichle with the best resale to possibly the worst. I'm wondering if I would have just kept the lexus for another year or two if it would be worth more than the Commander......

·
Registered
476 Posts
Again, the one question that comes to mine - WHY IS DCX NOT MARKETING THIS GREAT MACHNE?? :confused:

Early on you could catch a Commander commercial on most any channel at prime time. I also have seen ads in several popular magazines - Where did they all go?

The XK has been available over a year and I still have people coming up to me at least once a week and asking "What is that?".

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
HemiCommander said:
Again, the one question that comes to mine -
The XK has been available over a year and I still have people coming up to me at least once a week and asking "What is that?".
Enjoy the exclusivity....it's better than driving an Explorer and seeing another one at every interesection.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Enjoy the exclusivity....it's better than driving an Explorer and seeing another one at every interesection.

TR4Runner - I agree and am certianly enjoying the stares and love to talk to others when asked "what the heck kind of Jeep is that?" :D

As for as I have seen there are only two others in the city I live in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well if its any comfort jc has won car of the year in england beating even the h3 hummer. I love my jc and it turns heads wherever i go people are always asking me questions about it, it was the square look that got me back into jeeps still got my 96 jeep sport.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There couldnt be a more BLAND car on the road then the Ford Explorer...you see one (which is often) and you almost want to yawn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im a new member to the JC forums ..

I like the JC however I would emphasize one thing the article mentioned..

CRAMPED.

The JC is totally cramped. I was surprised and disappointed at how small it was at the auto show. I really wanted it as a replacement for my SUV. Why would I get it if it was just the same room as the JGC?

I'm a 1998 Isuzu Trooper owner. I'm looking for a replacement that has ability to tow but not as big as a Tahoe. The Trooper is great in size and fits in my garage and has great rear legroom. I would give up the third seat for more rear leg room if it has to come to that. But with no leg room in the rear, the JC is not something my kids can grow into. My sister's Lexus 470 uses only the rear seats now with her kids. The third row is always flipped up or removed.

Then I saw that the JC's rear seat had Trooper like design. It did not fold away and had a huge anchors. Quite the opposite of what their Dodge minivans have. The Trooper's seats are actually better designed. It folded away from useful space although it too folded forwards behind the front seats. Its similar in the JC but it was so small I couldnt get it out of the way.

When I sit in my Trooper or LR3, I have a lot of headroom and it felt airy, which I like and reason for me to buy the Trooper instead of the 4Runner. I didnt care about price.

For me the JC is a huge disappointment. Why didnt Jeep refine it and learn from the LR3 first.

My next upgrade is the LR3 even if it was a Ford but I would like to own a Jeep. My sister's 1997 JGC was nice but did not have the headroom I have in my Trooper.

The biggest disappointment in the Trooper was that it had no V8. Why not make it again and put the HEMI in it. The size is more useful. I bet it'll eat away Tahoe sales because GM did not let Isuzu put anything more powerful in the Trooper to compete with the Tahoe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts