Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in so go easy on me if I'm wrong. I have a 2006 Commander Sport. It has approx. 47000 miles on it. It also has a 3.7 v6. I am the second owner of the vehicle. When driving around 70-75 mph, there is a faint roar that seems to be coming from the front of the Jeep. No vibrations that I can feel. All diff fluids are in good shape and proper levels. Tranny service was just performed by dealer. New struts up front and new shocks rear. Tire pressures are at 30 psi. Could it just be the Goodyear Fortera tires? Maybe a balance issue? Or is this just a normal driveline noise from a full time four wheel drive vehicle. I kinda get a similsr noise out of my truck when 4wd is engaged.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's hard to imagine exactly what you are talking about as a 'roar'. I sometimes get a noise I'd describe as a roar depending on the road surface or wind condition. Does it sound like something rubbing, maybe? That might indicate a brake issue.

One thing that stands out is the tire pressure - the recommended pressure on the sticker inside your driver's side door is 35 psi. I know there's some leeway, but 30 seems too low.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
X2 on the tire pressure.
I'd bump them up to 35 psi and go from there.
If you still hear the noise then you know it's definately not the tires.
Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing or one of the diff bearings is bad.

·
Registered
953 Posts
X2 on the tire pressure.
I'd bump them up to 35 psi and go from there.
If you still hear the noise then you know it's definately not the tires.
Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing or one of the diff bearings is bad.
Appropriate tire pressure is the easiest and cheapest thing to test first.

I will say that at 47,000 miles, those stock tires are approaching the end of their usefullness. Tires can wear differently when driven by different drivers over different surfaces. While the stock Forteras may go for 60-70k for some, they may only go for 50k for others. Also, don't be fooled by tread depth. I had GY Wranglers on a previous truck with ~50k on them and good treads, but they made a ton of noise. I originally thought a bearing was going bad. It turned out the tire was wearing unevenly and turning slightly oval. I'm not saying your "roar" is the result of worn tires. It could be the tiger under the hood!

:eek:rangehat:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts