Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wasted 10 min. on hold for Eibach customer service. Wanted to ask them the same Q. Finally hung up (long distance)
Good news is the tubular step bars give it a lower look. 1st step anyway...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah, to each their own... but Jeep heritage points to vehicles that have at least some capability off-road (which means not lowering).

And usually SUVs are not lowered. Even Escalades and Tahoes might get 24's but they don't get lowered.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it's a 2WD, the driver probably is not planning to do much off roading anyhow. So, it's not like we'll ever see it on the trails anyway.

Some people just want a people hauler. Not my cup of tea, but I have nothing against it. Whatever makes 'em happy.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah ... 2WD Jeep... those two words bother me. However, as I said... to each their own. I am not sure why you would want to lower below stock though. Even if you are planning on making it a tuner type SUV you need the height to be able to shoehorn in the larger wheels.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If we have challenges fitting larger wheels and tires stock or with a mild lift, you're right, I would guess they will have problems adapting larger tires even more so.

I'll admit, the concept of a 2WD SUV is an unusual one, but I guess there is a market, or companies wouldn't keep making them...

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are many parts of the country that people don't need 4X4 for even snow. Lets face it, 90% of the new Jeep owners probabaly never use their 4X4 for much other than snow. I don't have a problem with 2 wheel drive. If I didn't live in Illinois and lived in Florida I would save the money and gas and by a 2 wheel drive.
Since you can't buy full size station wagons larger SUV's have sort of taken their place. Your only other option is a mini-van or full size passenger van. Most people that need a larger station wagon(lets face it, our Commanders are basically a large, tall wagon) don't have a lot of choices.
Still love our 4x4 Commander!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can your large tall wagon do this? : ) Here's a photo from Big Bear.

I think I might have bought a Dodge Magnum if I was looking for a people and cargo hauler without off road capability. I did look at mini vans, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. The nicer ones aren't exactly cheap these days either. (The loaded Honda Odyssey Touring can cost as much or more than a well equipped 4wd Commander).

I think there are occasional 'hoes and 'Slades that do get lowered, "slammed." I think they can look nice. But as far as having any utility or practicality, that's a whole different ballgame. I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live, eat and breathe city life. You would be suprised how many lowerd 4x4 are around. And yes, never off-roaded my other 4x4 jeeps.
Lowering as in lifting transforms a vehicles personality. As said by others, everyone has different tastes. That's what makes all this modding stuff fun. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife drives our Commander and has no need for 4wd. I have a truck that gets us around if the weather is bad. She like the Commnader for the look and the room, not to have a "Jeep". I counldn't bring myself to take a $30K - $40K vehicle off road and risk tearing it up. I am also to OCD to let it get that dirty.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used to work in the motorsports industry, instruct motorcycle riding, and test ride motorcycles at speeds over 155 mph on the racetrack. So, for me, it's fun to see what a vehicle is capable of. I don't intend to damage any of my vehicles and believe that I take care of them very well. Just going 4x4 doesn't necessarily mean you are going to beat on your vehicle.

But, the main thing is getting enjoyment out of your car or SUV and that is different things to different people. I think it's great that people are modifying their vehicles, to some that means audio/visual, to others that means lifting or lowering.

If people weren't interested in making their vehicles unique, we'd all be driving the exact same thing.

As for OCD, the dirt eventually washes off...

I'm obsessive about my garage, but sometimes my vehicles have to wait until the weekend for their washes...It takes time to get it out of all the door jambs and other places. I intended to post a picture of my clean commander, but didn't have one handy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As the mud flakes off my Commander, it eventually gets pounded into a nice glossy finish on the garage floor.

Just kidding. It's what is commonly called an "epoxy coating." Fairly durable stuff and resistant to oil and grease (and dirt). Easy to clean. I like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
... lived in Florida and let me tell you, if it rains ... sitting high and dry with 4 wheels rotating is making you feel better, although there were problably only few incidents where I would have otherwise been stranded. ;)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
A common misconception is that 4WD is only good for snow or off-roading. It can do wonders on wet roads too, ensuring that your vehicle continues moving with the flow of traffic (instead of perpendicular to it).

Granted, the ESP can alleviate some of this but there is no replacement for having four powered wheels making contact with the road.

Not to mention a 4WD Jeep will always retain its resale value longer than a 2WD Jeep.

·
Registered
209 Posts
SYCOHEMI said:
I used to work in the motorsports industry, instruct motorcycle riding, and test ride motorcycles at speeds over 155 mph on the racetrack. So, for me, it's fun to see what a vehicle is capable of. I don't intend to damage any of my vehicles and believe that I take care of them very well. Just going 4x4 doesn't necessarily mean you are going to beat on your vehicle.

But, the main thing is getting enjoyment out of your car or SUV and that is different things to different people. I think it's great that people are modifying their vehicles, to some that means audio/visual, to others that means lifting or lowering.

If people weren't interested in making their vehicles unique, we'd all be driving the exact same thing.

As for OCD, the dirt eventually washes off...

I'm obsessive about my garage, but sometimes my vehicles have to wait until the weekend for their washes...It takes time to get it out of all the door jambs and other places. I intended to post a picture of my clean commander, but didn't have one handy.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/SYCOHEMI/IMG_1135_1.jpg

I must say that is the cleanest garage floor I have ever seen and it even has a DIRTY jeep sitting on it....I know someone just asked this but what do you use on the floor (brand) I would really like to freshen mine up also....looks great!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts