Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
There are lower in kits that uses shorter but stiffer springs and online I have seen images of a lowered black commander with low-profile tires and a stereo system. I don't think that guy is on this form though. There's also a leveling kit the only raises the front if you're interested in leveling but not losing height.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe Mopar offered lowering springs when the Commander was in production. I'm not sure if you can find these springs anymore.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to lower your rig. But this is my commander when I bought it. PO had put 20in. Rims on it with no lowering kit. I thought it look alright with just the rims. Any lower and it would have looked funny. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Check the parts manuals and cross reference part numbers for springs. Most of the WK's ('05-'10 Grand Cherokee) suspension pieces are the same with the XK (Commander). Since they had different bodies and "maybe" different weights, the springs may be the one difference. I'm pretty sure the shocks/struts are the same.

Someone posted here about a blown Bilstein 5100 on their Commander and Bilstein refusing to honor the warranty because they do NOT list their 5100 for the Commander, just the Grand Cherokee, their 4600 is for both vehicles. People sell and use the 5100 on Commanders all the time because the suspension is so similar between the two. Don't know why Bilstein doesn't list the 5100 for the Commander, I suspect the Grand Cherokee has a few 5100's blow as well.

Check OME lifting springs, if they are the same for Commander and Grand Cherokee of the same years, then its a reasonable assumption that Grand Cherokee lowering springs would work reasonably well on the Commander as well, but its a risk if they don't list it as being for a Commander.

Personally, I am NOT into modifying suspension just for looks, granted I can see a minor adjustment to raise the front to level the forward rake of the Commander. Many vehicles that lower the suspension put up with lots of headaches and need repairs or early parts replacement. That varies, so perhaps a Commander might NOT be so bad. Hate to say it, but when I see a truck or jeep or SUV lowered, I can't help to think to myself, "You bought the wrong vehicle, should of got a big sedan".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts