Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to spend 400 on retail lowering springs, so I was thinking about picking some stock springs off a Commander in a junk yard and compressing them and heating them up until I have them all perfectly sized. Do you guys think that would work? I'm not even sure I can find used springs in the first place, but I didn't want to try before I asked.

I was thinking about taking 2.5" off the back and 1.75" off the front (to level the Jeep). That's one more inch lower than the Mopar lowering springs.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Way back when I took a torch to a 57 Corvette springs front and rear while on the car. Got them down to about 1/2 inch left. Rode hard but looked awsome. Only problem was man hole covers:) Never had any mechanical problems. Now a days it may not be the thing to do - use the Mopar is my reccomendation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Typically, compressing springs won't have any affect - unless it's to an extreme degree, which I doubt would be achievable on a vehicle part like this.

For instance, we leave weapon magazines loaded to full capacity, and they've been like that for years. They still work like new, because it's the cycling of compression and decompression that weakens a spring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way back when I took a torch to a 57 Corvette springs front and rear while on the car. Got them down to about 1/2 inch left. Rode hard but looked awsome. Only problem was man hole covers:) Never had any mechanical problems. Now a days it may not be the thing to do - use the Mopar is my reccomendation.
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! So all I need to ask for at salvage yards is the spring? I wonder if all the commanders have the same springs through every year and model?

What process did you use? I thought I'd just take them off, rig up my bench vice to compress the springs, and then heat them with my torch for about 5 minutes. My dad has a pretty crazy vice, but I'm not sure it'll fit and it's definitely not the safest option.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
You can rent spring compressors at a lot of auto parts stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts