Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Will the Michelin LTX A/T 245/70R17 fit on a non-lifted commander with no rubbing? Also can I assume if I get a 2 inch lift that a Michelin LTX A/T 245/75R17 will fit with no rubbing? I have been a Land Rover guy for the past 7 years, a couple of Disco's and an LR3. I do a lot of wheelin in my Land Rovers but just got a used 06 Limited Hemi Commander but my gut tells me that if don't get a lift and bigger tires I will be dragging my belly alot where as my LR3 I just raise the car via the air suspension. Besides the clearance it would seem the Quadrive II system will perform just as well as the LR3 4x4 system ( I will miss the HDC though). I do love the HEMI, my wife and I had a drag race and the Commander HEMI won the race vs. my V8 LR3. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Besides the clearance it would seem the Quadrive II system will perform just as well as the LR3 4x4 system ( I will miss the HDC though). :)

The QDII is the top-of-the-line 4wd system that they offer on the Commander. The LR3 has an incredibly complex and capable 4wd system, as I'm sure you know that already. IMO, the LR3 4wd system is more capable, but I don't have any real world experience to back that up, so I don't want to say it would be better, but it does have more capabilities on paper if you compare the tech specs.

How was the reliability on your Disco and your LR3? I've always really like both vehicles (especially when they came out with the LR3), but so many people have horror stories to tell with regards to breaking down and mechanical/electrical issues. My cousin got an LR3 a few months back and he's already had it back to the dealer a few times. How has yours been?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lr3 comments

I seriously doubt the jeep quad II system will exceed the LR3, equal probably. My LR3 has the electronic rear locker and it still amazes even the lifted/locked Land Rover crowd and it still has the 19 inch street tires. I doubt any vehicle off the show room floor (non-modified) can exceed the LR3 due to its 4x4 system and cross linked air suspension. With that being said you cannot put a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires on a LR3 therefore you are limited on the upside for those 5 % of trails the LR3 will never tackle. How durable has been my LR3..well 53,000 later it has been flawless unlike my Diso II that has 160,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I know nothing about the LR3 4WD System so I cant comment on it but I was just curious if you were aware that the Commander has front and rear electronic limited slip differentials.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes they go from fully open to fully locked

That is the key reason I purchased the Commander along with Hemi. Technically I would like to understand how the eletconic locker in the LR3 differs from the ELSD in the jeep (the LR3 uses traction control solely in the front)

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
IMO, the LR3 4wd system is more capable, but I don't have any real world experience to back that up, so I don't want to say it would be better, but it does have more capabilities on paper if you compare the tech specs.
On paper doesn't count and won't get you out of a tough situation.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
On paper doesn't count and won't get you out of a tough situation.
Yeah, but the difference between you and me is that you seem to think that QDII is superior to any/every other system out there, without having experienced the other 4wd systems. For you to say that a QDII Commander has a better 4wd system than an LR3 is pretty much ridiculous. I'm guessing that you don't have any of your own real world experience driving an LR3 in various offroad situations, so what is your basis for saying that the QDII Commander has a better 4wd system?

I base my opinion on real world experiences when I can (such as the Commander vs. the 4Runner) and when I can't base them on real world experiences, I turn to things like specs and possibly even videos on the Internet. I know that the LR3 4wd system is very stout and I've seen stock LR3s do some truly amazing things on various different videos.

You know what gets you out of tough situations? I'll tell ya... a very capable 4wd system and a good set of tires for the conditions. The fact that the LR3 has a rear locker and air suspension says a lot about it's capabilities. The Commander is also capable for sure, but it doesn't have nearly the ground clearance of the LR3 and the lack of a true rear locker doesn't help it either when compared with an LR3.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
:stickpoke:

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I seriously doubt the jeep quad II system will exceed the LR3, equal probably. .
Yeah, try to ignore jeep5253. He's one of those guys who thinks the vehicle he drives in superior to every other vehicle out there, even if he doesn't know anything about the other vehicles.

If you haven't noticed already, I have a 4Runner and my wife has a Commander. So if I should post something to compare the two vehicles, it's based upon my own experiences. jeep5253 will still usually put his two cents in to tell me that I'm wrong, even though he knows nothing about 4Runners. So when it comes to Commander and LR3 comparisons, I'll have to compare notes with you. We purchased our Commander used from my cousin, who just happens to own an LR3 now. So maybe I'll get a chance to do some Commander & LR3 comparisons myself in the snow sometime this winter.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
If you haven't noticed already, I have a 4Runner and my wife has a Commander. So if I should post something to compare the two vehicles, it's based upon my own experiences.
Excuse me, dude, but you were telling us how superior your 4bummer was years (literally) before you got a Commander. And you have yet to post any pics of the Commander you supposedly have except for the ones when it was owned by your cousin. How bout some action shots of YOU driving the Commander ?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
It is.
Thanks for proving my point. You need to open your mind and realize that there are other vehicles out there that are superior in all different ways.

You remind me of a kid in a Civic with a 3" exhaust system who thinks he has the fastest car in the world. Nothing can beat his car and nobody can convince him otherwise.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Excuse me, dude, but you were telling us how superior your 4bummer was years (literally) before you got a Commander. And you have yet to post any pics of the Commander you supposedly have except for the ones when it was owned by your cousin. How bout some action shots of YOU driving the Commander ?
First of all, have a little respect and don't be such a punk. It's a 4Runner, please learn how to spell it. You don't see me calling your Commander a Crapmander or stupid immature things like that, do you?

Secondly, I don't try to convince anyone that a 4Runner is superior to a Commander. Each vehicle has its merits and I've posted that opinion on several different occasions. If you don't like it then that's too bad. You're the most defensive person on the forum and if anyone says something that you disagree, then you carry on like a scorned woman.

Finally, are you suggesting that I don't own a Commander? If you are, then come right out and say it. I'll be more than happy to make a complete and total fool out of you for even making such a suggestion. Like I told you before, the Commander is still 100% stock and looks exactly the same as the pictures I posted before along side my 4Runner. BTW, I haven't posted any pictures of my 4Runner since those pics either. Maybe I don't own a 4Runner. :rofl:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for proving my point. You need to open your mind and realize that there are other vehicles out there that are superior in all different ways.

You remind me of a kid in a Civic with a 3" exhaust system who thinks he has the fastest car in the world. Nothing can beat his car and nobody can convince him otherwise.
I have a civic si... and it is the fastest car ever!

(that i've owed) :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In regards to flawless and do the ELSD really lock

When I first purchased the LR3 there were several recalls, which does not bother me, but since those initial recalls it has been a very dependable vehicle. Do the ELSD really lock or simulate a lock? My old Discovery II is another ball of wax, between 75,000 and 100,000 miles everything went wrong..every seal, radiator and other small issues (totaling an estimated $12,000 charge to the warranty) luckily I bought the extended warranty. From 100,000 to 160,00 it has been dependable since they replaced everything except the traction control modulator which is out and I do not plan on fixing that since it would cost $2k to fix, but then again I do not plan to wheel in the Disco II any more. If your cousin needs a good resource for his LR3 make sure he goes to discoweb.org or landroverworld.org.:) The jeep guy is just having fun with you...as you know.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
When I first purchased the LR3 there were several recalls, which does not bother me, but since those initial recalls it has been a very dependable vehicle. Do the ELSD really lock or simulate a lock?
Unfortunately, I don't think they actually lock like a true locker. They seem to work pretty well though and they do a good job at performing like a locker.
My old Discovery II is another ball of wax, between 75,000 and 100,000 miles everything went wrong..every seal, radiator and other small issues (totaling an estimated $12,000 charge to the warranty) luckily I bought the extended warranty. From 100,000 to 160,00 it has been dependable since they replaced everything except the traction control modulator which is out and I do not plan on fixing that since it would cost $2k to fix, but then again I do not plan to wheel in the Disco II any more.

Hmmm.... so you didn't have any real issues with your Disco until you hit 75,000 miles? And you only have 50K on your LR3? You might not be out of the woods yet with your LR3 then... but I guess you've been okay so far, which is better than some of the horror stories I've read on the Land Rover forums. I realize that people with problems tend to be more vocal on message forums, but I was astonished with just how many posts there were with people who had problems with the 4wd eletronics alone.

If your cousin needs a good resource for his LR3 make sure he goes to discoweb.org or landroverworld.org.:) The jeep guy is just having fun with you...as you know.
My cousin has zero interest in message forums. I couldn't even get him to join this forum when he was a Commander owner.

And the Jeep guy... well, he's not having fun, he's actually an angry person with some serious issues. I've known him on the forum long enough to realize that he's easily upset and very defensive. I think it's time for me to put him on "ignore" because I'm starting to become bored with his rhetoric.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im not trying to start a pissing contest because I really dont care but you just stated that you are astonished at home many people with the LR3's are having 4WD electronic problems. As far as I know there has been no major problems what so ever with Jeeps QD II on the Commanders. With that being said, how can we even compare the two systems?

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Im not trying to start a pissing contest because I really dont care but you just stated that you are astonished at home many people with the LR3's are having 4WD electronic problems. As far as I know there has been no major problems what so ever with Jeeps QD II on the Commanders. With that being said, how can we even compare the two systems?
Uh oh. You did it now !:rofl:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts