Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to all of this, but when someone posts "265/70R17" I assume we are talking "LT" (light truck) vs. "P" passenger tire. Is this correct? This does make a diffence at I believe the LT's are just a bit larger.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am by far not the expert on tires however I believe the LT is for the larger sizes ut more for the higher load ranges (amount of wieght a tire can handle under correct pressure). I have found that the larger sizes of tires would be LT as P tires would be a smaller size and mostly a softer compound of rubber as they are made for lighter weight loads and are for more highway use and MPG maximum output.

Thats what i think is the difference

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am by far not the expert on tires however I believe the LT is for the larger sizes ut more for the higher load ranges (amount of wieght a tire can handle under correct pressure). I have found that the larger sizes of tires would be LT as P tires would be a smaller size and mostly a softer compound of rubber as they are made for lighter weight loads and are for more highway use and MPG maximum output.

Thats what i think is the difference
I think you are right, the LT's have higher load ratings and are somewhat larger in size. So the question is, are these 265/70/17 everyone is putting on their Commanders LT's or P's? That can make a possible difference on rubbing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts