Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read recommendations against using weight e tires. However, I'm considering a tire that only comes in E. Is the weight of the commander enough to make the e ride okay?

I'm thinking about the LT255/70/17 bfg at ko2, but it only comes in E. I'd prefer to avoid the pinch weld mod and the spacers that the 265/70/17 requires.

07 commander limited hemi

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The tread pattern is going to affect ride and road noise as well. In my experience, when going to a tire that is a little "more" the difference is often only barely noticeable.

I went from the OEM Goodyear Fortella's to BFG Rugged Terrain T/A, the tread pattern was definitely one that should have been a rougher and nosier ride on the highway. Honestly, I have to concentrate to feel/hear a difference from the OEM.

I'd look up the actual weight (in lbs) of both the OEM and your intended tire, unsprung weight (tires/wheels/brakes/suspensions pieces) has a much higher effect on ride and handling. But a few pounds isn't going to make much of a noticeable difference.

Those differences in suspension performance will also be exaggerated by a weak suspension, so if you have old shocks and torn up bushings (sway bar bushing are known to wear out on the Commander) you should replace those with the upgrades.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts