Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Sorry for the rant, but I had a very frustrating experience with AAA this afternoon, all over what should have been a simple issue. Ran over a huge nail, and have a flat tire. Called AAA, to come remove the tire ( they won’t do plugs), and put the spare on, so I could get it to a shop tomorrow to repair the tire. The guy could not get my tire off, because he didn’t have the correct socket size! Apparently because the tires have decorative caps over the lug nuts, which use a universal size socket… On this particular tire, all but one of the caps are gone. The sockets he had, for over the caps, but are too big for the lug nut itself. So he couldn’t get the tire off. I called AAA and told them how ridiculous and unacceptable it was, to pay for a service that can’t be provided, something as simple as a tire change. My question is, does everyone understand what I’m talking about and describing? And does anyone know what the actual socket size is, to remove the actual lug nuts, not with the cover caps over them?
thanks! Jen

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
@Jenmv I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you post some photos?

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey everyone! Sorry for the rant, but I had a very frustrating experience with AAA this afternoon, all over what should have been a simple issue. Ran over a huge nail, and have a flat tire. Called AAA, to come remove the tire ( they won’t do plugs), and put the spare on, so I could get it to a shop tomorrow to repair the tire. The guy could not get my tire off, because he didn’t have the correct socket size! Apparently because the tires have decorative caps over the lug nuts, which use a universal size socket… On this particular tire, all but one of the caps are gone. The sockets he had, for over the caps, but are too big for the lug nut itself. So he couldn’t get the tire off. I called AAA and told them how ridiculous and unacceptable it was, to pay for a service that can’t be provided, something as simple as a tire change. My question is, does everyone understand what I’m talking about and describing? And does anyone know what the actual socket size is, to remove the actual lug nuts, not with the cover caps over them?
thanks! Jen
can't help on the actual size as I replaced mine with solid ones as well. those stupid caps suck. but it almost sounds like the AAA guy just didn't want to do his job. Even if there isn't a standard socket that fits perfect there should be one (or even a metric size) that fits close enough. I know I removed mine with caps missing before.

Sorry I cant offer any actual help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The actual size is of the lug nut is 11/16,
when the chrome cover is removed.
Been there.

Reactions: rblapham

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks! Jen
I know exactly what are you talking about, since 1990 I had XJ and in the late 90s they had the lug nuts covered with a decorative cap. My Commander also has those and I believe the socked size is a 19mm but dont quote me on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts