Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, the lug nuts on there now are 1/2-20 buldge, autozone has chrome ones that I want that are 1/2-20 tapered, they said these will work fine, they are dormans and dormans website says they are ok also, so even though buldge are on there is it ok to put tapered?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Its Ball or Radius, NOT bulge, but we know what you meant.

I would NOT trust an over the counter clerk any more than I can throw their entire store, although there have been a few that are very knowledgeable and I would consider their advice, I've had a dozen more that insist absolutely wrong things are right.

I'm no wheel expert, don't know the answer for sure, but personally, I would NOT do it.

You don't have to be an engineer to be able to tell those two different shaped face will NOT seat like they are designed and instead of spreading the load over the area of the entire face, like designed, instead, it will concentrate the load on the single tiny contact area that will result from using the two differently shaped seat surfaces.

I'm sure you'll find all sorts of morons that have done it and never ran into a problem, because the engineers designed an extra margin of safety into the wheel and fasteners, thus they saved the morons from their own ignorance, but I also have 4 associates that died when a wheel came off their vehicle in a turn.

You find something official from the manufacturer stating its OK, or reputable engineering organization, I'd consider it, until then I would NOT trust a parts counter clerk saying "these will work fine, can I ring you up"?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The bulge/ball/radius vs the tapered lug nut depends on the wheel.
It might work,for a while. Keep looking because they won't seat correctly.
I ran into this when I changed my wheels and if memory seres me correctly,
the lug nut is a different size requiring a different lug wrench.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
And what Cico7 is saying is probably the most likely case, the wrong lug nuts will damage the wheels, NOT at first, but as you drive, it will wear at the concentrated contact points and each time you tighten them they will sink deeper and gouge out the wheels more, eventually it become obvious the wheels are NOT safe to use and you'll have to replace them.

The 4 I know that died, wasn't from using the wrong lug nuts, and from what I was told the driver knew the wheel had problems and it was pretty obvious it was NOT safe, missing lug nuts on top of that, but he kept driving it anyway and it ended up coming off at just the right place to put them down an embankment as they went off the road and they all died. Just pointing out, wheels do come off and can cause death, maybe NOT likely, but at least they are likely to do enough damage you'll regret do it. Thus I don't mess around with something like, "their NOT the right lug nuts, but they'll still work".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts