Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tire blowout several weeks ago and had to buy four new tires, Dealer reminded me that with full time four wheel drive all 4 tires need to the same diameter. So I go to my local tire dealer and get 4 put on. I have been there before and know they do not get the torque right - varies from 90 to 150+. So when I get home it's get out my trusty torque wrench and do all 20 lug nuts. Am I over concerned? I do know a year or so I trusted them or forgot and did not re-torque the front wheels. Several weeks later I was feeling pulsing when applying the brakes, The rotors were original and at least 12 years old and did not pulse till then. I believe it was due the uneven torque on the wheels. I have read that uneven torque is a major reason for warped rotors. So I just replaced the rotors for a parts cost of $250 and now will check the torque every time again..
The tire dealer also, as usual destroyed one of the factory stock sheet metal chrome lug nuts. Just yesterday I replaced all the cheap factory lug nuts with the solid triple chrome plated ones from Amazon for $18 for 20. Happy camper here.
Boy there are a lot of different lug nuts available - size, length and thread etc. My 06 Commander uses 1/2 - 20TPI, by just over an inch long, 3/4 socket size with a 60 degree taper.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you post the link to the lug nuts you bought?
There is a scary warning "For AFTER-MARKET Wheel ONLY. WILL NOT FIT: Toyota/Lexus/Scion/Honda/Acura Factory OEM aluminum wheels." But the only slight difference I could see is the cone section is slightly smaller at the widest point on the new ones but seems to fit great with 100 ftlb of torque. Maybe I'll pull one off and take a picture of the orig and these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KCPRDWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of old and new. I put some grease on each and tightened to see contact. Is fairly east to tell old from new in pictures. I also compared to a lug nut I picked up from NAPA years ago and it looks just like the new ones I just put on - in the taper section. Lug3 picture shows - left new and right NAPA.
The contact area on the new ones is substantial and full contact so sure they are just fine.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts