Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been reading this forum for a year and I guess it is time for me to post some pictures. I am spending the winter in Apache Junction, AZ but Lee and I usually can be found almost anywhere in the country roaming around in a motorhome. She talked me into the lift and tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nice looking ride ! Love the color, too. Did you build the storage compartment yourself? that is sweet!
-Hemi

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I gave the guys at our plant an AutoCad drawing and they welded it up for me. We do this kind of fabrication all the time. We build Mobile Surgical Facilities that are full of custom parts. You can see one at AMoHS.com if you are interested. I am considering having them build me an attaching platform to mount a winch to the Blue Ox baseplate mount up front.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice ride. Looks like mine, but cleaner. :p

I'm digging the trunk. How easy/hard was it. I have zero use for my 3rd row.

Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Could you be more specific on the Blue Ox thing?

Thanks

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Trunk is fairly simple. It was not my idea, I saw someone on this forum about a year ago also do it. I removed the third seat, measured the size of the opening and had the guys build an aluminum case for the bottom with a partition to create an area for oil bottles across the front. I made sure that it was deep enough for the bottles. The lid is hinged about 6 inches from the back to allow for the lid to lean against the second row seat. We put a lock in the lid so that I could put my shotgun in there if I wanted to without worrying about it. I can carry an awful lot of things in this space. I have a blow up bed that fits in the entire back area with the second row folded in case we get stuck on the trail. I also carry parts, straps, fluids, MRE's, tools, and an air compressor. All kinds of things to use out in the middle of nowhere. The trunk is bolted in using the bolt that is centered in that area, so it cannot be removed without opening the lock. The roof pod even has pillows, blankets, sheets, and coats.

The Blue Ox baseplate is used to tow the Jeep behind a motorhome. It connects to the underside of the front end to the frame kinda like a skidplate. It has two round receivers that heavy inserts fit into to connect a tow bar. This is a heavy duty model and is rated for 10,000 pounds. I have D-Rings that I can connect to the inserts to act as tow hooks, but I am considering fabricating a mount that will connect to these two inserts and let me carry the winch in the back and simply connect it if I need it similar to the regular receiver winch mount. I think that with a tow rating of 10,000 pounds it might be even stronger that a class !V hitch. If this does not make sense I will take a picture.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pictures of the parts

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey Huey,
Is that Blue Ox baseplate welded to the frame or bolted? Is it a specific fit to the XK or a kind of fit-all part?
Thanks for your service
-Hemi

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I got the $500 rebate. It was offered, didn't have to ask for it. I like your setup. Good job on it. Have fun out there roaming around the country.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Blue OX baseplate is bolted to the frame. It is specific to the Commander. They make different models for different vehicles. The tow bar systems are fairly generic, but the base plates are engineered to fit. Many people with motorhomes use them to take thier vehicles along. They ofter call them "Toads", because they are towed. Thanks for thanking me for service, for many years we were quiet about serving. The younger vets have made it better for us old guys. I flew "H" model "Slicks" for two tours in Vietnam.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad your not Lurking any longer, you have a lot of good things to share.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I'm also a retired CWO4 Army helicopter pilot.
Ft Wolters Class 69-23
Also member of VHPA.
2 tours in Vietnam+4 years in Germany+22 years in the MI ARNG

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mat,

I was in Class 69-13. Also in VHPA and CHPA. My name is Bill Waugh. You might have been in the same class as a fellow from my hometown, Bob Sitze, I think he was one class behind me. I got out after the two tours as a CW2, 37 years ago. Send me a PM and we will trade stories. Mine get better every time I tell them. I had a triple bypass a few years ago so now I even have scars to improve the tales.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Your Jeep looks great! I love the fabbed box, any chance the guys at your plant want to fab up a bumper with a winch... I hear there's a market around here. =)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Seems like it's a NAM reunion. Thank all of you guys for serving during that time period.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I flew up to New York for the weekend and stopped back by the plant here near Chicago today. I had a meeting with a dozen of the guys about a new surgical unit that we are building. During the meeting I mentioned that I had posted pictures of the locking diamondplate trunk on this forum. I asked if they might be interested in building some of them and maybe a combo bull bar, bumper and winch for Commanders.
I am sending the link for this site to them and they will post on this forum and check it out. I cannot promise anything, but they can certainly build anything. I am concerned because I do not want to get in the way if someone else wants to do this instead. If you want to check out our plant the site is www.calutechmobiles.com.

I am going to post this as a separate new thread so others can see it also. I am not trying to talk anyone into anything, but it is nice to have a plant that can fabricate anything we want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts