Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering picking up a set of tires from the for sale section here from wingcover. I have a 2" RC lift to be put on probably next weekend. The tires are Thunderers M/T R405 in 265/70/17. They are load range E tires. They are mounted on Mickey Thompson wheels, that are apparently 17x10. They look like Classic III wheels, but the sizes on the MT website only show 17x9.

I looked at the Thunderer tire website, and they state the approved rim width to be 7.5-8.5". Do y'all see any major problems/concerns with running them on a 9 or 10" wheel?

Any major problems to be expected with running an E tire, other than a stiff ride? I do tow a 5k pound boat frequently, although E is still major overkill. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just had some Thunderer M/T installed on my jeep and they look awesome but they are not the 265 I went with 245/75/17 and they fit with no problem. I am not used to MT tires and they are noisy the faster you go the louder they get but I am assuming this is the case with all MT tires. They look nice and for 740 for the 4 installed and balanced you can't beat that price.

Here are some pics of my new tires sorry but my rims are not clean.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1649&pictureid=8769
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1649&pictureid=8761

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'm almost positive those wheels are 17x9's. You wouldn't want to have 265mm tires on a 10 inch wide wheel. Maybe he's going off the overall width of the wheel from edge to edge? That's not how a wheel is measure as far as the width. It's measured from the inside of the wheel where the bead of the tire sits.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The tires are M/T so they are ment for off road it has not really rained here so I have not had a chance to try them, but I am sure they will do a great job. I just have to warn you they are loud but they are M/T so it is expected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts