Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I bought my Commander in December of 2010 and the mods started right off the bat, I just never got around to starting a garage. I took a few pictures of the Jeep during its transformation, but most of them are on my other computer. I will upload them in the near future, but for now, here's a pic of how my rig currently looks. I had always wanted to completely black out a vehicle, but never ended up buying a black vehicle until now. Let me know if you have any questions. My future mods include cross rails, intake, exhaust, in-dash dvd player and headrest tv's. Once I get the interior done, I may add a bigger lift/tire combo, but I'm satisfied with the exterior for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it.

Where in Maine are you?

I was stationed in South Portland and lived in Portland then Freeport and have family in Bangor.

Thank you.

Born, raised, and still reside in Bangor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice setup man, came out really good. I have the same wheels with the chrome center caps to match my grill/step bars/grab handles, but the all-black look works nicely on yours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
08Commander - I did keep the stock lugs. The v-tec center caps stick out far enough so ou can hardly see the silver lugs, unless you are looking for them.

Yioryosino - thank you, very much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...it's been a few months since I have posted anything to my garage, so here it goes.

Since my last post, I have added the factory cross rails, Aries brush guard, and mopar tail light guards. I was very impressed with the construction and fit of the brush guard and tail light guards. I prefer the mopar tail light guards to any other brand I saw due to how much more flush they sit on the tail light. They don't look as "universal" to me.

I have ordered some 130w KC Daystar driving lights with stone guards to mount on the brush guard. They should arrive next week and will go on over the weekend.

Before and after photos below. Let me know what you think...

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aries brush guard...

Before and after.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brush Guard

Nice, I like the look your going for. Got to say, I like the taillight guards.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeep5253 - Haha. Believe it or not, I actually washed the Jeep about three days ago. There is no point washing your vehicle up here in Maine, because they put so much sand on the roads, but I still like to hose it off every week or two.

JeepBOHICA - Thanks. Most people thought I was crazy when I took all of the chrome off of it, but I had always wanted to completely black out a vehicle and now I can knock that off my bucket list.

Once I get my KC's installed, that will complete the exterior. The interior will be up next and then the performance mods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Blacked Out

I agree. I managed to black-out my vehicle and replace my chrome grill and black-out my badges. Next my wheels, in the summertime though, It definately looks bad ass...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My KC's arrived yesterday and I couldn't help but mount them, even though I won't get around to do the wiring until this weekend. I have some black KC stone guards coming and they should be in tomorrow. I'm very happy with the brush guard/light combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
How do you like those tires? I'm looking at getting a set here in March!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dru - Thanks. I had the same feeling about full brush guards prior to buying this one. I had the Westin Bull Bar on a couple of my previous trucks, but I didn't think the roundness of that bar would go well with the Jeep's front end. I am very happy with the end result.

Nite - I love the tires. I have put two winters on them and about 10,000 miles. I would compare the ride and traction to BFG AT's. They also seem to be wearing very well. I rotate them every-other oil change and I expect to get 40k+ miles out of them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice jeep, what did you use to tint your turnsignals and how's it holding up?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice jeep, what did you use to tint your turnsignals and how's it holding up?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Thanks. I have been using Nite Shade for years and have never had any issues. The key is to start with a clean lens and apply LIGHT coats. It's tempting to put on a heavy coat, because after the first couple of light coats the lenses are still pretty red, but they dry darker. I believe I did 3 or 4 coats. I wouldn't do any more than 4. I also applied 2 or 3 coats of a clear semi-gloss enamel afterwards and I haven't had any flaking or anything and they get pressure washed regularly. I also tinted my tail lights and 3rd brake light using the same process.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And do it with film is bad? I want the same on mine...

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And do it with film is bad? I want the same on mine...

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
I've seen some great looking results with film. I attempted using a tinted film on one of my previous vehicles, but I found it difficult to apply due to the contour of the lights and I had a bunch of bubbles in it, so I ripped it off and went the Nite Shade route.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts