Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Cool videos. Thanks for posting them. I think I may just have a go at this meself. Hey, while I'm here, does anyone have any input on tranny flushes? My local car wash has a Pennzoil quick-change co-located and the mechanic I spoke with recommended it for trannys over 60k mi. I just got my '06 with 64k on her and I don't know how well maintained she was. The tranny oil in her right now is clear (pink and free of floaters) and doesn't stink. Cheers.

·
Administrator
16,130 Posts
Cool videos. Thanks for posting them. I think I may just have a go at this meself. Hey, while I'm here, does anyone have any input on tranny flushes? My local car wash has a Pennzoil quick-change co-located and the mechanic I spoke with recommended it for trannys over 60k mi. I just got my '06 with 64k on her and I don't know how well maintained she was. The tranny oil in her right now is clear (pink and free of floaters) and doesn't stink. Cheers.
Chysler recommends that you don't flush the transmission. A member here recently had his transmission serviced and the dealer flushed it and now he is having problems. Post up some pics of your new ride for us.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes I have some input...
For anyone considering a transmission flush, read this first:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14888

Drop the pan, change both filters, replace lost fluid, done. Flushing is just not necessary and is not factory recommended service. My experience is proof it can lead to trouble.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The 2010 owner's manual says the interval for trans fluid change is 120k miles, it could be different for other model years.

The severe duty interval is 60k miles, frequent towing, towing heavy loads, off-roading, even hard driving on the street or lots of very short trips, would qualify as severe duty. So if don't know the vehicles history and worry, now is probably the time to change the fluid.

The factory recommended procedure is to drop the pan and change the filters and fluid in the pan. Yes, it only changes a little less than half the fluid in the entire trans.

The idea is that if you change the fluid often enough, you'll always have enough fresh fluid in the trans to protect it.

If you change the fluid with the recommended fluid, with the recommended procedure at the recommended severe duty frequency, then arguably, you fall into the concept above.

These machines shops are using, they pump solvents into the trans, they back flow fluid through the trans, etc. I don't trust it and I think it can cause problems, like people are posting about. Chrysler put out a TSB recommending against it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yes I have some input...

Drop the pan, change both filters, replace lost fluid, done. Flushing is just not necessary and is not factory recommended service. My experience is proof it can lead to trouble.
The 2010 owner's manual says the interval for trans fluid change is 120k miles, it could be different for other model years.

The severe duty interval is 60k miles, frequent towing, towing heavy loads, off-roading, even hard driving on the street or lots of very short trips, would qualify as severe duty. So if don't know the vehicles history and worry, now is probably the time to change the fluid.

The factory recommended procedure is to drop the pan and change the filters and fluid in the pan. Yes, it only changes a little less than half the fluid in the entire trans.

The idea is that if you change the fluid often enough, you'll always have enough fresh fluid in the trans to protect it.

If you change the fluid with the recommended fluid, with the recommended procedure at the recommended severe duty frequency, then arguably, you fall into the concept above.

These machines shops are using, they pump solvents into the trans, they back flow fluid through the trans, etc. I don't trust it and I think it can cause problems, like people are posting about. Chrysler put out a TSB recommending against it.
Thanks a million, guys, for the sound advice. I'm buying Mopar filters and fluid next week and I'll get the service done. I'll do it now and in another 60K just so I can sleep better. I don't know how well maintained Large Marge was; so I reckon erring on the safe side (sever duty schedule) is cheap insurance. Hell, it can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yes I have some input...

Just read the entire thread. What a nightmare! I really hope things continue to smooth out for you; but the whole travail was completely unnecessary. I feel no comfort when I go to the dealer for service and BS like they put you through is why. I'm doing the proc. you recommended above. Thank goodness for forums like this. Cheers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just read the entire thread. What a nightmare! I really hope things continue to smooth out for you; but the whole travail was completely unnecessary. I feel no comfort when I go to the dealer for service and BS like they put you through is why. I'm doing the proc. you recommended above. Thank goodness for forums like this. Cheers.
It was a joyous time in my life for which I'll be forever thankful.

Actually, there is already some good that is coming out of it, and that is the information / warning it provides others on this forum, like you said.

I really thought the trans would sustain some type of long term damage when I got the thing back, but it is almost fully back to normal. I think it will be back to 100% normal after my next oil change, when I replace both filters and begin to exchange the fluid...myself...the correct way ;)

It's still a bit disheartening that I haven't gotten any feedback from Chrysler Corp. since submitting all of my supporting documentation, which was very convincing/obvious of the dealer's fault. But I've mostly moved on.

If you let things like this "get to you" like I did at first, you'll be a big ugly stress ball noone wants to be around... :)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
It was a joyous time in my life for which I'll be forever thankful.

Actually, there is already some good that is coming out of it, and that is the information / warning it provides others on this forum, like you said.

I really thought the trans would sustain some type of long term damage when I got the thing back, but it is almost fully back to normal. I think it will be back to 100% normal after my next oil change, when I replace both filters and begin to exchange the fluid...myself...the correct way ;)

It's still a bit disheartening that I haven't gotten any feedback from Chrysler Corp. since submitting all of my supporting documentation, which was very convincing/obvious of the dealer's fault. But I've mostly moved on.

If you let things like this "get to you" like I did at first, you'll be a big ugly stress ball noone wants to be around... :)
Really glad to hear that your trans is almost back to normal. That's got to be a huge relief. Talk about paying plenty for the experience. Thanks again for sharing your ordeal. It saved me $110 for the trans flush PLUS the misery. Just got the work done today following the recommended procedure. Large Marge took 5 quarts of ATF+4 to replace what drained out and 2 Mopar filters. She runs like buttah and I can sleep at night. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What bad experience(s) have you had with AAMCO? Seems to me it would be a fine choice considering it is what they specialize in.
AAMCO, Midas, the Dealerships, etc... are independent owned franchises, the management varies drastically from shop to shop.

Sadly, consumer ignorance is so great, many shops can get away with ripping people off.

I've been to one shop in a state and then visit another of the same franchise in a neighboring state and it was like night and day, one would be an honest shop and then walk out of an obvious rip-off shop with the same sign on the outside. Dealerships, I've seen a night and day contrast just on one side of town from another for the same brand, the town was big enough that there was more than enough ignorant customers that kept the rip-off Dealer in business.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really glad this forum is here. I was unaware of the transmission flush issues before reading about them here.

This morning I decided to head to the local shop I usually have do maintenance out of convenience and mentioned that I'm knocking out my 30k service a bit early (mainly didn't feel like messing up the garage floor with the tranny and risk screwing up the rtv gasket). First words out of his mouth were, "well, we offer a flush and recommend a fuel injector cleaning..." and I cut him off with, "you don't flush chrysler's...or most brands for that matter, can you just drop the pan, replace the filters, and refill? As for the injectors - there's nothing you can do that will work as good as the seafoam i shot through it last week combined with the ridiculous amount of detergents and scrubbers in gas and oil these days without tearing the engine apart" He gave me the most cross-eyed look and said, "you want to replace the filters?"

I turned around and walked out while muttering, "you wanna flush my system, catching everything in the filters, and then not replace them! - or worse yet, flush it in reverse dumping everything from my filters back into my tranny!?"...drove to the nearest autozone and picked up a filter pack and some RTV as I just gave away the last of my good ol' dragon's blood - then off to an O'reilly to find enough quantity of synthetic ATF+4. Looks like I'll be doing this one myself.

The best part...two other people walked out right behind me that were waiting in line. Downside...only dealer in town with the silentarmor tires i want...but at 1200 for the set with plenty of tread left on my oem fortera hl's, think I'm gonna have to wait on a serious sale before going back.

Reactions: MatthewD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the videos. I changed my fluid and filters yesterday after watching. Pretty easy job if you have a wobble socket.

It was nice to actually know what I was doing before I went and tried to do it... :roller:

·
Registered
17 Posts
my dealer is the worst ever, (Maguire in Ithaca). They intentionally tried to rip me off more than 1500$ for something that wasn't even broken, and just needed a flash update. I caught them, they disagreed and so on it goes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got a cd off eBay for 16 bucks. Had the whole year lineups of manuals. Legit jeep product. The hard copies were a two volume set and pricey. Also I saw on eBay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2006 Commander Sport 4.7 QT2 179,000
2 Posts
Here are some videos I made on how I changed my transmission fluid and filters on my 2006 4.7L 4x4 Grand Cherokee. Since they are basically the same mechanically as a Commander, I'd thought I'd share it here. Please let me know if I missed any steps or if you have any tricks to add in.

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Thanks,
:alf:
Jack
Thanks for the post. I just did my transmission service after being told by local shops that they only recommend flushing the system because the filters are made to last forever!!!! My filter was split!!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts