Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two concerns I would appreciate opinions on.

1/ Weight of oil: Manufacturer recommends 5W-20. I realize that this is the best "mileage" weight, but is it really best for the Hemi engine? Seems a bit light to me, especially for hot, summer driving. My tendency would be to use 5W-30 (synthetic). Any real, or warranty issues if I do so?

2/ Tire pressure: All the Commanders I have seen are equipped with the same Goodyear Fortera tires. The sidewall specifies maximum pressure of 44 lbs., but the manufacturer's recommendation is for 35 lbs. Again, from Daimler-Chrysler's point of view less inflation pressure will deliver a softer, more comfortable ride, but is this best for safety and treadwear? 35 lbs. seems inadequate for a tire rated for 44, in a vehicle weighing 5300 lbs. My Ford Excursion is equipped with light truck tires with spec max of 55 lbs. I run them at 50. My lifelong habit is to run tires at or near the max for safety and longevity. I have never had problems with excessive center tread wear.

Thanks to all. I am enjoying the forums.

2 Commander 5.7 Limiteds. Light Khaki and Silver Metallic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jesse,

Thanks for the response and the link. Interesting article, and it definitively answers the 5W-20 question.

Stuart

·
Registered
209 Posts
You need to use the 5W-20 or the MDS will work properly

·
Registered
209 Posts
Excuse me this is a typical Monday...what I meant to say is the MDS WILL NOT work properly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts