Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m one to be pretty proactive regarding maintenance. I swap out my battery every 4 years and the tires when the look somewhat worn. Since I’m a little over 100,000 miles on my 08 Limited, would it make sense to change out the water pump and hoses? I’m thinking the pump doesn’t have many more miles in it. What you think?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It can't hurt, especially if you're going to be changing coolant and your thermostat anyway. They're pretty affordable items.

However, if you don't have a reason to change anything in the cooling system yet, the pump and hoses are probably still fine. I'm still on the original pump and radiator hoses after 170k miles with no problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently had to replace my alternator and I also thought that while I was already in there I would replace the water pump. I did buy a new pump and replaced it. The original pump had 130K miles on it and I found that it was still in perfect condition. I am keeping it as a spare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
water pump

I was just thinking about this same issue ! I recently replaced the fuel pump and rear differential in the same week, I was like " What's next" The water pump? Oh yeah a new ( Jupiter) Transmission in March

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
I was just thinking about this same issue ! I recently replaced the fuel pump and rear differential in the same week, I was like " What's next" The water pump? Oh yeah a new ( Jupiter) Transmission in March
You might consider replacing the thermostat. This is a common maintenance item that is often overlooked.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have an '06 w/4.7. The vehicle has around 86 thousand miles. I recently replaced the water pump after noticing pulley wobble. Not a hard job. Little bit of fiddling if you do not have the special wrench for pulling the fan (that might be a free loaner tool at parts stores) Made sense to me to replace the serpentine belt, thermostat, and hoses too. The original pump had a plastic impeller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts