Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Commander 3.7 V6 Sport 2WD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I am in Florida so AC is required. Since my first post I replaced the brake pads, spark plugs, PCV valve and hose, flushed coolant, replaced interior lights, replaced 2 O2 sensors, and the Jeep runs well and without codes (that was a momentous day), however I cannot find what seems to be a leak in my aC. It loses the vacuum slowly, within a few hours….I replaced the AC receiver dryer, the front expansion valve, and it loses vacuum, much slower now though. So I was thinking about going ahead and ordering new liquid lines, a condensor, and I have the block off kit for the rear AC. I am trying to avoid replacing the evaporator because I have heard that it is a LOT of work because you have to remove the entire dashboard. It would still be way cheaper than taking it to a shop, any other new members here have any suggestions on my approach? My approach can be summarized as blocking off the rear aC, then keep replacing parts until I happen to replace the leaking one …with the evaporator being the last if necessary (and not the compressor…it works)

it’s hot here…

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
Have you tried a leak detector? or have a shop do it. Have you considered some stop leak?
It may be cheaper for a shop to fix it instead of throwing parts at it.

Reactions: burdland

·
Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
126 Posts
Have you tried this? https://www.amazon.com/LEAK-FREEZE-MAGIC-FROST-Ounce/dp/B00CZBAOGC I've heard that many people have good luck with it and it actually helps prolong the system, unlike some other leak stops that inject hard particles into it (this one is oil based).
Good evening, I am in Florida so AC is required. Since my first post I replaced the brake pads, spark plugs, PCV valve and hose, flushed coolant, replaced interior lights, replaced 2 O2 sensors, and the Jeep runs well and without codes (that was a momentous day), however I cannot find what seems to be a leak in my aC. It loses the vacuum slowly, within a few hours….I replaced the AC receiver dryer, the front expansion valve, and it loses vacuum, much slower now though. So I was thinking about going ahead and ordering new liquid lines, a condensor, and I have the block off kit for the rear AC. I am trying to avoid replacing the evaporator because I have heard that it is a LOT of work because you have to remove the entire dashboard. It would still be way cheaper than taking it to a shop, any other new members here have any suggestions on my approach? My approach can be summarized as blocking off the rear aC, then keep replacing parts until I happen to replace the leaking one …with the evaporator being the last if necessary (and not the compressor…it works)

it’s hot here…

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
658 Posts
do you have rear ac in yours? i was really surprised at the volume of freon the system needed with that ~3 cans or so...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
Patf111 in his original post #1 he said he has the rear AC and had a block off kit.

Reactions: burdland

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
200 Posts

it’s hot here…
It's probably going to be the evaporator.
Florida, like Hawaii, were I used to live, is very humid.
Water will collect down there and will corrode pinholes in the bottom of it.
If you put leak detector in the system, you might see it coming from the drain.
I had mine replaced a couple years ago, and it was $1,400.
I had the heater core replaced also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably going to be the evaporator.
Florida, like Hawaii, were I used to live, is very humid.
Water will collect down there and will corrode pinholes in the bottom of it.
If you put leak detector in the system, you might see it coming from the drain.
I had mine replaced a couple years ago, and it was $1,400.
I had the heater core replaced also.
thats what a mechanic that came by to service my nephew’s car said. The Jeep needs so much other work that I would hate to spend that much money on the AC repair but this has been dragging on for a long time. I understand it is a pain in the rear to swap out the evaporator because the dash has to be removed. Is it feasible to do it over a weekend? Might as well swap out the heater core while I am in there. Is having the dash off a good opportunity to replace any other minor or major parts?

I am very appreciative of the responses from y’all on here, I could really use some guidance.
Thanks
Chas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have rear ac in yours? i was really surprised at the volume of freon the system needed with that ~3 cans or so...
Yeah I do and was going to install the block off kit and pray that the leak is in the rear AC system, although not the most likely candidate. I keep hearing evaporator and I am hesitant to go down that rabbit hole. I still could replace liquid lines and other parts but I have a feeling it is the evaporator

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wonder if that block off kit is where the leak is. but @jklightner has a great point too, but I hope at only 11 years its a 5 cent o-ring somehere accessible
I haven’t installed it yet but it would be great to see leaking at that connection point, replace the deals and voila! I will dig into it and lay eyes on it this week.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
200 Posts
thats what a mechanic that came by to service my nephew’s car said. The Jeep needs so much other work that I would hate to spend that much money on the AC repair but this has been dragging on for a long time. I understand it is a pain in the rear to swap out the evaporator because the dash has to be removed. Is it feasible to do it over a weekend? Might as well swap out the heater core while I am in there. Is having the dash off a good opportunity to replace any other minor or major parts?

I am very appreciative of the responses from y’all on here, I could really use some guidance.sy
Thanks
Chas
It took a couple of days to have mine done, and yes, the heater core too.
The blower is supposedly easy to replace through the glove box.
Might check the air doors seals while in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried a leak detector? or have a shop do it. Have you considered some stop leak?
It may be cheaper for a shop to fix it instead of throwing parts at it.
The kind of numbers I am seeing for repairs are so high it seems cheaper (not time wise) to throw parts at it. I would love to just take it to a shop at this point but I am afraid of the cost

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It took a couple of days to have mine done, and yes, the heater core too.
The blower is supposedly easy to replace through the glove box.
Might check the air doors seals while in there.
Thanks. I’ll look at the parts and get a few quotes. Lesser of two evils I would rather spend the money if within reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can rent a ac leak dye detection kit from Autozone for a refundable fee. They rent a dye injector kit too for adding dye. Let it run in the system for a bit and check it the next day. The leak will be very obvious.

You can replace the heater core by simply removing the glove box and cutting 1 metal part if the frame. Evaporator is nearby so it may be possible to access it too. But I only needed to replace the heater core, so no promises there. Someone else on this forum can surely chime in if that shortcut is viable. Could save lots of cash

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can rent a ac leak dye detection kit from Autozone for a refundable fee. They rent a dye injector kit too for adding dye. Let it run in the system for a bit and check it the next day. The leak will be very obvious.

You can replace the heater core by simply removing the glove box and cutting 1 metal part if the frame. Evaporator is nearby so it may be possible to access it too. But I only needed to replace the heater core, so no promises there. Someone else on this forum can surely chime in if that shortcut is viable. Could save lots of cash
I didn’t know you could rent that from autozone, I will definitely check that out this week. Thank you for the help

chas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts