Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 41 years of driving cars, I'm about to move over to the "truck" side! We've had SUV's before, my wife's card, Dodge Durango, GMC Yukon XL and my wife's brand new Ford Expedition EL Limited so I know something about the non-car life.

After my two Maxima's I think I'm ready for the versatility of the SUV format, but I didn't want "my wife's car"! I looked at the new Dodge Durango, but again, its one I could see my wife in. I did not like the column shift on the Durango. Then I stumbled onto the Jeep Commander! Wow, what a great look and the cockpit fits me like a glove. I like the size, the styling and the equipment and sophistication of the Limited.

Like others, I've been doing extensive research and have been a little alarmed at what I've read about the Jeep. Consumer Reports and Edmunds are kind of scathing about the Jeep. Its as if they are offended its not just a 7 seat clone of the crossovers or the behemoths like the Suburban, Yukon XL, or Expedition XL. The Jeep appeals to other than the "normal" crowd.

1. So, would you buy your Commander again?
2. Is this be best time to buy? (Four limiteds in my area still available and NO movement for over 3 weeks)
3. What should I pay (how much below MSRP, or below invoice)

I look forward to driving my own Commander in the next few weeks!

Thanks for everyone who shares on this board. I've learned a lot already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks! I presume that the $8,000 under MSRP would include the current $4,500 rebate?

In my talks on an '07 Limited with MSRP of $40,250 they are currently offering it at $36,950 (I'm wanting the 0% 72 instead of the rebate). With the rebate that would be $7,800, very close!

The other question I should have asked is about the 2008's. That myGIG is awesome sounding and I like some of the tweaks they've made. From a rebate perspective the 08's already have $3,000 while the 07's are "only" $4,500. If I was taking the rebate I think I'd go ahead on an '08.

Think they will sweeten the pot on the 07's when the current round of incentives expires Oct 1st??

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

That's a really tough question. If I were looking for a good looking, nice driving, 7 passenger SUV, yes.

2. Is this be best time to buy? (Four limiteds in my area still available and NO movement for over 3 weeks)

It's as good a time as any. There is never really a good time. If you could find a leftover 06 that would probably work best for cost.

Depends on options and vehicle type. Expect to pay well well 5k+ well below sticker.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, but I would get the limited next time.
I was also told to buy a new car in the winter
I got $9000 off on my 06

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points. The right time is usually when the right deal comes along. The trick is recognizing it.

I just got a call from a dealer in Birmingham offering $32253 for a Limited Hemi with chrome wheels, and hitch, as a demo with 5,000 miles on it. That sounds like a good deal. It does not have the power hatch, which is something I think is cool. But would I pay $5000 for it. No. Doing some pondering!

·
Registered
11 Posts
One local dealer in Sunnyvale has 6 2006 Limiteds left. He had 12 of them back in June and has been advertising $12,500 off in the paper all summer long.

Another local dealer in San Jose still has 18 2007 Commanders in stock. All but 2 are Limiteds.

Seen a pair of mid west dealers on e-Bay offering to order you one for Invoice less half the "Hold Back" and having it delivered to your local dealer. Would like to see the look on the local dealers face when that one arrives.

Since I don't like chrome on a Jeep, I'm holding out for an 08' Sport with the U package.
-SF

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, but anyone who is interested and can afford to trade off a vehicle after one year doesn't usually have to worry about their finances a whole lot.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
BigRed said:
Yes, but anyone who is interested and can afford to trade off a vehicle after one year doesn't usually have to worry about their finances a whole lot.
That may be true, but I'm not talking about just one person....I'm just saying that discounting $9000 for new Commanders hurts the resale value of everyone with a Commander! I had no idea they were discounting them that much!

The only people who have nothing to worry about are the people who are going to keep their Commanders for a very long time. From what I've seen on this board, there are a quite a few people who plan on doing just that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
TR4Runner said:
That may be true, but I'm not talking about just one person....I'm just saying that discounting $9000 for new Commanders hurts the resale value of everyone with a Commander! I had no idea they were discounting them that much!

The only people who have nothing to worry about are the people who are going to keep their Commanders for a very long time. From what I've seen on this board, there are a quite a few people who plan on doing just that.
I bought my JC with the plan of keeping it till the door fell off. I bought my JC Dec of 06 when Chrysler had way to much overstock and the 07's were already out. My JC was the last 06 in stock at Chrysler Jeep of Dayton. I made sure I told them I was aware that Chrysler had made too many cars. When all said and done, I got my JC for 26K and the MSRP was 34K.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I too plan on keeping mine until the wheels fall off.

I pick up a fully loaded 06 Limited in January 07 for $30,000. The window sticker was $46 plus

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my Commander as well and I'm usually an import car kinda guy....
go for it! When it comes to SUVs, Jeep has done it right w/ the Commander!
Price is so hard to discuss objectively since there are so many variables that affect it...
Do your homework and you can get a great deal!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Frankly, I dont know why ANYONE who wants a SUV doesnt buy a Commander. With these huge discounts they are as cheap as any crossover or import SUV and even if a 3.7L model far more vehicle for the price. I ordered mine direct from factory so didnt get the kind of deal many of you received (pd about 38k for an Overland with every option except the DVD player), but I am happy and yes, I am among the group that will keep his vehicle for many years. john

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
John said:
Frankly, I dont know why ANYONE who wants a SUV doesnt buy a Commander. With these huge discounts they are as cheap as any crossover or import SUV and even if a 3.7L model far more vehicle for the price. I ordered mine direct from factory so didnt get the kind of deal many of you received (pd about 38k for an Overland with every option except the DVD player), but I am happy and yes, I am among the group that will keep his vehicle for many years. john
I almost bought a Commander, but as you can see by my name, I ended up with a 4Runner instead. I can give you many reasons for my choice, but I don't want to stir the pot here in a forum full of Commander owners.

We also considered adding a Commander to the family in addition to the 4Runner, but we still haven't pulled the trigger yet. At this point, I don't know if we will ever buy a Commander because it seems like they are on the chopping block in a year or two, and I don't know what that will do to the resale value.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, if I traded every 3-5 years I too would worry about resale value, but since I keep my vehicles a minimum 10 years (actually longer on our latest to depart with (96 Grand Cherokee about to give to our son) resale value is no concern. IMHO if they do away with Commander those of us with the QuadraDrive and 5.7L engine will find them very sought after down the road. QD is certainly the finest 4wd system in the world and the Hemi engine will always be popular in a vehicle this size and weight. If you look at the old Wagoneers etc now 20 or more years old, they are sought after more then ever. john

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I might sell mine in a year or two and buy a later year Limited or Overland if indeed the model does get axed. Then I'll have a Hemi and QDII and will keep it until it dies a painful death. Unless they make a diesel model, then I'll do that instead.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
I might sell mine in a year or two and buy a later year Limited or Overland if indeed the model does get axed. Then I'll have a Hemi and QDII and will keep it until it dies a painful death. Unless they make a diesel model, then I'll do that instead.
That sounds like a plain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I drag my feet the better the offers get. Buying a vehicle that seems hard to sell is a little nervewracking. I normally like to trade every 3-4 years so normally resale value matters to me. This time however, I'll have one in college and another about to start in 4 years. So the toughness of a Jeep with all the bells and whistles would help me keep this one through the college years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts