Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering since we all know manuals get better mileage than automatics, if we drive our Commanders using the manual shifting, will that give us better mileage? over leaving it in automatic?

David

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Actually, as most modern automatics can pull fuel economy very close to their manual counterparts... it would be hard for an average user to guage this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Driving the Commander with the manual shifting is not the equivalent of driving a manual transmission. The selector doesn't select the gear you're actually in. It just sets the maximum gear you can be in. If you dig deep into your owner's manual, it actually states this. I had noticed on test drive that I was in a lower gear than what I selected when I tried to start moving in 4 and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
when i bought mine in march the salesman told me that if you used the manual shift then every time you stopped you had to manually downshift to 1st and manually upshift or it would burn up the trans. being a former drag racer this sounds like an automatic with a manual valve body.
i usually run it in 4th around town and leave it there and it downshifts just fine. was the salesman wrong or am i missing something?
the only other problem i found was the cloth interior. i have a black lab that goes everywhere with us and his hair gets stuck in the material and has to be hand picked out. other vehicles just need shop-vacced.
other that that no problems. i love it.
V-6 is reading between 14.6 and 15.2 depending on who is driving (all in town). about 20 highway.

2006 commander
Lt. khaki

1 - 5 of 5 Posts