Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Lol. Thats it. It just conks out. It starts back up after a moment- like Colonel lol- it didnt flush when we got it home but my arms were done after fighting the current at the ramp.
You probably need to get the carburetor taken apart & cleaned out;

When you don't flush the fuel (which is mixed with oil on a 2 stroke) the jets in the carburetor get all gummed up with that old fuel/oil mixture sitting in them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put new spark plugs & a new fuel filter in it too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Too bad you didn't at least have QT-I 4WD;
So here is the thing- VIN says its 4WD and it has the pumpkin but my car insurance SWEARS its a 2WD lmao.

I live under the assumption its 2WD because I cant afford to think the 4WD will save me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You probably need to get the carburetor taken apart & cleaned out;

When you don't flush the fuel (which is mixed with oil on a 2 stroke) the jets in the carburetor get all gummed up with that old fuel/oil mixture sitting in them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put new spark plugs & a new fuel filter in it too.
Yeah- we ran out of gas and someone SWEARS they have the same gas from the same gas station and I dont think they did. I should have done it then but I didnt. Thats 100% on me but I had blisters all over my hands from fighting the current. It wasnt happening that day.

I get gas from the same BP at the same pump and put the same 2 stroke oil in it everytime so I dont run into that issue. Thats what my dad said to get and thats what I get.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
So here is the thing- VIN says its 4WD and it has the pumpkin but my car insurance SWEARS its a 2WD lmao.

I live under the assumption its 2WD because I cant afford to think the 4WD will save me.
Katie;

Here is a very easy way to take the guess work out of it;

Enter your VIN below & it will give you the Factory build sheet for the Colonel;

FCA RAM

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

I'm guessing you probably have QT-I 4WD drive, which is essentially AWD, but, still much better than 2WD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quadra-Trac I Full-Time 4WD

according to that sheet

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Quadra-Trac I Full-Time 4WD

according to that sheet
@Colonel08 ; That factory build sheet is your bible - as far as your Commander goes, so, hang on to it.

QT-I 4WD is very good for you; So you are in 4-HI all the time. That means you also have traction control & electronic stability control.

The only thing you don't have, is a 2 speed transfer case, which means you don't have the ability to drop down into 4-LOW.

Not the end of the world.

You can tell your insurance company they are wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So check this out- Went to go buy the TPS at Autozone and its not there. Not only is it not there-it isnt a $31.99 part like it shows online- according to the guy at the counter AND Oriellys AND Advanced Auto Parts they are only sold with the whole assembly. Had an ex offer to pick one up for $35 though... what is happening?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Figured it out! Thanks to this wonderful person how to: change spark plugs on a 3.7 & throttle body... its one whole unit. I cant just by the sensor because its not possible.

So the autozone, advanced auto parts, and O'Reilly website has it seperate but thats wrong.

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE- Its OK to laugh btw. I am still calling it a win and am stoked it wasnt a 5 hour waste lol. Took me 5 hours and lost 3 bits but recovered one to the engine block- thats not gonna hurt it right?
I couldnt get the little screw on the left off so had to call in reinforcement. Got it off cleaned it out (wasnt bad- was hard to open and close in the beginning though) and CLEARED THE CODE. Heres the funny part- Didnt start upright away and the lights still stayed on but the code that the dashboard threw is gone.So for a total of $7.45 the code is gone.

Next step is to buy a code reader and see what it says- suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJV3E1...olid=2M1QF4P9GNGVL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That seems to be the most popular but is that going to be worth it? For $40 more it says, "more codes" in the description...

·
Registered
Dallas TX
112 Posts
I noted in a separate thread, I am using this one..
along with the torque app (free)... i have not hit any code that I could not clear and it seems to be pretty good at scanning as well. plus I really like the gauge feature (you can turn your phone screen into a gauge pack)

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
I noted in a separate thread, I am using this one..
along with the torque app (free)... i have not hit any code that I could not clear and it seems to be pretty good at scanning as well. plus I really like the gauge feature (you can turn your phone screen into a gauge pack)
That's a nice cheap option.

I like the Superchips flashpaq 3874;

Not only can you pull & clear codes but it gives you a lot of other functionality - but, it's pricey even today;

That being said, If I could only buy one thing, this would be my first choice;

Want to disable your TPM sensors? You need Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software; | Jeep Commander Forum

Appcar DiagFCA's OBD-II Software gives you the most bang for your buck, bar none.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
112 Posts
Ok, went out to try this all out. Using the ELM327 tagged above, i was able to bluetooth to my laptop (old beater HP Gen 4 820) and tie into the car with the AppCar-DiagFCA software. so for $14 in hardware and $50 in software I am all linked up!

·
Administrator
7,684 Posts
Ok, went out to try this all out. Using the ELM327 tagged above, i was able to bluetooth to my laptop (old beater HP Gen 4 820) and tie into the car with the AppCar-DiagFCA software. so for $14 in hardware and $50 in software I am all linked up!
I guarantee you, when you see all of the options you have access to now, you will be extremely happy you spent that $64.00

It really is a great piece of software.

I'm a firm believer that anybody who is serious about keeping their Commander, should make the investment in the AppCar-DiagFCAOBD-II software.

In the end, it will pay for itself several times over.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Next month that will be on my buy list (had to buy "black square reducing glasses" for my 8 year old who figured out that the Amazon glasses were just clear lenses. I got them coated with a blue light filter and an eye doctors backing). I used the one my dad had and got 4 codes- P0507, Implausable Left Rear Wheel Speed Comparative Performance, Both Squib 1 and 2 circuits open and U1417 and U140B.

From what I am gathering that means- Needs new throttle body since I just cleaned it and it came back within a day, Wheel Speed Sensors,12 fuses in total and airbags.

Wheel speed sensors are DEFINITELY out of my league unless I can find someone to help/watch/"assist"- I need to start with something easy like brakes first. I dont have the extensions to change the TB comfortably so if I dont have them by the time the Jeep goes in for its yearly I will let them change that and I am not touching anything with Airbags.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L Sport, QT-II 4WD
191 Posts
Next month that will be on my buy list (had to buy "black square reducing glasses" for my 8 year old who figured out that the Amazon glasses were just clear lenses. I got them coated with a blue light filter and an eye doctors backing). I used the one my dad had and got 4 codes- P0507, Implausable Left Rear Wheel Speed Comparative Performance, Both Squib 1 and 2 circuits open and U1417 and U140B.

From what I am gathering that means- Needs new throttle body since I just cleaned it and it came back within a day, Wheel Speed Sensors,12 fuses in total and airbags.

Wheel speed sensors are DEFINITELY out of my league unless I can find someone to help/watch/"assist"- I need to start with something easy like brakes first. I dont have the extensions to change the TB comfortably so if I dont have them by the time the Jeep goes in for its yearly I will let them change that and I am not touching anything with Airbags.

If you're going to be in there working on your breaks, you'd probably be 75% of the way to replacing the Speed Sensors. I replaced my front ones this past summer. Was a fairly straight forward job. Hardest part was removing the calipers, etc. Below is a link to my post about replacing mine.

What did you do to/with your Commander today?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts