Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this thread Wil be of all the work I do to my new to me Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition. My big plan in the beginning is to refurbish it/ maintenance work ECT. It has 105K on the clock when I got it.
Pic after buying it.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken some more trim off and started cleaning and painting more pieces. I should have 90% of the trim painted this weekend on the truck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Well finished up my work on redoing a lot of trim repainting yesterday. It made a huge difference. We're very happy with it. Here's a few pics.
Looks good, that's quite an improvement.

I had issues with faded spots and stains on my original Sport Black trim and I used "Wipe New" a couple of times.

It looked good for a few weeks after each application, but, it didn't last long enough to be worth the time and effort for me to keep doing it, so, I ordered the Commander limited chrome trim and installed that myself - and wow, what a difference it made.

I've added some additional chrome and stainless steel accents since - some on the outside and some on the inside trying to find some balance between all of the black and chrome.

A few guys have commented that I have too much chrome - but I'm very happy with how she sits.

I still have black door/window trim, black roof rails, black roof basket, black rain guards, black front bumper, black mirror housings and mud-flaps, so, the additional chrome accents along with the satin-finish Centerline aluminum rims give Big Blue some nice balance I think.

I don't care for the bland, black-out look at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well finished up my work on redoing a lot of trim repainting yesterday. It made a huge difference. We're very happy with it. Here's a few pics.
Looks good, that's quite an improvement.

I had issues with faded spots and stains on my original Sport Black trim and I used "Wipe New" a couple of times.

It looked good for a few weeks after each application, but, it didn't last long enough to be worth the time and effort for me to keep doing it, so, I ordered the Commander limited chrome trim and installed that myself - and wow, what a difference it made.

I've added some additional chrome and stainless steel accents since - some on the outside and some on the inside trying to find some balance between all of the black and chrome.

A few guys have commented that I have too much chrome - but I'm very happy with how she sits.

I still have black door/window trim, black roof rails, black roof basket, black rain guards, black front bumper, black mirror housings and mud-flaps, so, the additional chrome accents along with the satin-finish Centerline aluminum rims give Big Blue some nice balance I think.

I don't care for the bland, black-out look at all.
I think it looks really good and balance with the chrome on it. Not to much not to little just the right amount really. I also think your color is the reason why it looks really good too. Chrome goes a lot better with that blue IMO as it's a compliment to it. I think chrome is about the color paired up to. It looks great with all vehicles but with blue it never seems to be to much and I think that's because it's part of the family of colors in it somehow. The rest the color factors in to how much you can use chrome. My jeep has a decent amount and chrome wheels. I think it has just the right amount.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a coolant flush this week. New upper and lower radiator hoses. New thermostat and filler neck followed by coolant from the local molar dealer. I bought a couple gallons of distilled water and ran it through the over flow and radiator prior. I think I've got all the air out of the system too. Seems to be cooling much better now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I think it looks really good and balance with the chrome on it. Not to much not to little just the right amount really. I also think your color is the reason why it looks really good too. Chrome goes a lot better with that blue IMO as it's a compliment to it. I think chrome is about the color paired up to. It looks great with all vehicles but with blue it never seems to be to much and I think that's because it's part of the family of colors in it somehow. The rest the color factors in to how much you can use chrome. My jeep has a decent amount and chrome wheels. I think it has just the right amount.
Yep, I really like that color green, I haven't seen many Commanders in that color.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Did a coolant flush this week. New upper and lower radiator hoses. New thermostat and filler neck followed by coolant from the local molar dealer. I bought a couple gallons of distilled water and ran it through the over flow and radiator prior. I think I've got all the air out of the system too. Seems to be cooling much better now.
Nice work, it's amazing what some needed maintenance can accomplish.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work, it's amazing what some needed maintenance can accomplish.
Thanks next up new spark plugs and throttle body cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I had all 16 of my plugs changed at the the dealership at 80,000 miles.

My mechanic said the lower plugs were a real pain to get to.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: I just realized, you have a 2007 4.7L, so, you should only have the normal 8 spark plugs to deal with. They didn't add the 2nd spark plug per cylinder on the 4.7L until the 2008 model year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep had cooling issues still after flush, thermostat and new radiator hoses. Did the filler neck too.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums#/topics/66426
Link to my query lol. I ended replacing the water pump and temp sensor, then re bleed ECT ECT lol. Instantly after firing it up you could tell the engine was way happier lol. I also knew it was a bad pump due to noise it shouldn't make lol.
A couple more cycles and this baby is ready! Only parts of cooling system not replaced were the electric fan and radiator now lol. I will say without the clutch fan to remove this job was easy.
Got water pump torque specs and pattern from fellow Jeep forum lol
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum#/topics/3388914
So stoked now. Still a lot of work left to do lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had all 16 of my plugs changed at the the dealership at 80,000 miles.

My mechanic said the lower plugs were a real pain to get to.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: I just realized, you have a 2007 4.7L, so, you should only have the normal 8 spark plugs to deal with. They didn't add the 2nd spark plug per cylinder on the 4.7L until the 2008 model year.
No worries the new 4.7 with dual spark plug is nice and the setup closely resembles the HEMI which is nice but when maintenance comes it's a lot as you already know lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
No worries the new 4.7 with dual spark plug is nice and the setup closely resembles the HEMI which is nice but when maintenance comes it's a lot as you already know lol.
Yes it is.

However the extra spark plug per cylinder and the re-designed intake gave the 4.7L a 70HP jump in 2008.

I'll gladly deal with the additional maintenance for that kind of return in performance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I decided to rip the bandaid off and replaced the heater core and radiator. The radiator def was not flowing optimally as it should. My original coolant flush more came out then when I dropped all the coolant again to replace it. Hardly any came out. I'm glad I replaced it to be honest after that. I suspect some stop leak was used. That stuff is horrible. Also finally spoke to someone at the dealer who knew what they were doing and discovered my Commander is indeed missing the clutch fan so all that stuff has been ordered. For that stuff I went with dealer for parts since I've got nothing lol. I want to make sure it's right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
That radiator & heater core looks pricey .

Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That radiator & heater core looks pricey .

Mark
Wasn't terrible actually. I didn't go with OEM stuff. Both were from auto parts store and came with lifetime warranty. Replacing the heater core sucked though lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts