Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally I bought the new tires set, I went for Mastercraft Course A/T 265/65/17

(for more info about Mastercraft tires as a brand refer to this thread http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7236)

The good thing about this tire is that it has a very wide Tread width ! wider than some 275s and 285s !, as per the tire specs the tread width should be 8.75" put I measured it and found it even wider at 9.1" !!

Stock tire was Goodyear Wrangler HP All-Weather 245/65/17 and its measured tread width is 7.2", so the new tires add around 2" in tread width !! :)

Specs of the new Mastercraft tire:
  • Service description: 112T (Max load: 2470 Ibs and Max speed 117 MPH)
  • Treadwear: 460
  • Traction: A
  • Temperature: B
  • Tread depth: 13.5 mm
  • Diameter: 30.55"
  • Section width: 10.71"

I haven't done any off-roading yet, but the new tires are much loader than the stock tires on the street at speeds higher than 50 MPH, and I believe that is due to the wider surface contacting the road and more aggressive tread pattern.

The new with the stock one..

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pics for the Commander with the tires fitted (with OME 2" lift)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Close ups for the tire fitment with the wheel well ,,, The tires does not touch or rub the wheel well at all (put it barely rub the chassis and the sway bar,, pics will come)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The tire and the ball joint bolt discussed in the other thread ...

Due to the wide Tread width the tire rub little bit on the chassis and the sway bar at the full lock !!

I'm thinking about reducing the turn maximum angle to avoid this rubbing or live with it ! or put spacers !

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Side by side with 275/70/16 Dunlop tire on Toyota Land Cruiser, the Mastercraft tire is wider than the Dunlop by about 1" !! although the Dunlop size it wider

Side by Side with 265/65/17 (Same size) Dunlop tire on Toyota Prado, the Dunlop tread width is 7.7" while its 9.1" in the Mastercraft !

Thanks,,,,

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
15 Posts
What was the total lift in the end? Tires and OME combined. I contacted ARB in Abu Dhabi but they don't have the OME993 available. I would like to fit a roof tent etc. so should really have the OME 993 to avoid too much sagging in the rear.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What was the total lift in the end? Tires and OME combined. I contacted ARB in Abu Dhabi but they don't have the OME993 available. I would like to fit a roof tent etc. so should really have the OME 993 to avoid too much sagging in the rear.
In the front = 2" (OME) + 0.5" (Tires) = 2.5"

In the back = 1.3" (OME) + 0.5 (Tires) = 1.8"

You can ask them to order the coils in the next shipment and you will get it by the same price, but it might take couple of months !

How much extra weight you plan to put in the rear end ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am really just guessing at the extra weight at this stage but the following should be taken into consideration: Roof rack, rooftop tent, gas bottle, Jerrycans (extra fuel and water) luggage for 4 people etc.

I am also thinking of changing the front and rear bumpers to custom made steel ones. Because of all this I am thinking that the OME993 would be better.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody have any ideas how these would work on a 2WD???
The tries will fit regardless wither its 4WD or 2WD ! ,, and I believe it would fit the Commander without a lift.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Keep in mind that when you compare different tires sizes, the first number is width of the tread in mm. This is not neccesarily the actual tread width contact area, because some manufacturers include the portion of the tread that wraps up around and into the sidewalls. The reason your Mastercraft tires look wider is because the tread area is more squared off and block-like compared to the other tires in your pictures. If you were to actually measure the actual width of the tire (not just the tread contact patch), I'm sure they would actually be a bit narrower than some of the other tires in your pictures. That's if you measure the width of the tires from sidewall to sidewall (also called the section width)

I'm running the Cooper Discoverer ATR 265/65/17 (stock size) on my 4Runner, and like you, my actual tread width is just over 9 inches. That doesn't surprise me because your tires are also made by Cooper. I love the wider look of the contact patch on these tires. Looks awesome without having to actually move up in size (for me) and gives it a great stance.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
In the front = 2" (OME) + 0.5" (Tires) = 2.5"

In the back = 1.3" (OME) + 0.5 (Tires) = 1.8"

You can ask them to order the coils in the next shipment and you will get it by the same price, but it might take couple of months !

How much extra weight you plan to put in the rear end ?

Looks good, Ahmed. With your new tires and new lift, it looks like you're riding up there with the Land Cruiser and Prado now. Good comparison pics. I bet your Commander feels bigger now!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep in mind that when you compare different tires sizes, the first number is width of the tread in mm. This is not neccesarily the actual tread width contact area, because some manufacturers include the portion of the tread that wraps up around and into the sidewalls. The reason your Mastercraft tires look wider is because the tread area is more squared off and block-like compared to the other tires in your pictures. If you were to actually measure the actual width of the tire (not just the tread contact patch), I'm sure they would actually be a bit narrower than some of the other tires in your pictures. That's if you measure the width of the tires from sidewall to sidewall (also called the section width)
Yea I know that, the section width is standard, but the tread width depends on the tire design. and even if you look at the LC pic with the Commander you would notice that the section is wider in the Dunlop 275 but the tread width is narrower

Looks good, Ahmed. With your new tires and new lift, it looks like you're riding up there with the Land Cruiser and Prado now. Good comparison pics. I bet your Commander feels bigger now!
Its even little higher than them,,, definitely it does look like a 4x4 SUV now :)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm running the Cooper Discoverer ATR 265/65/17 (stock size) on my 4Runner, and like you, my actual tread width is just over 9 inches. That doesn't surprise me because your tires are also made by Cooper. I love the wider look of the contact patch on these tires. Looks awesome without having to actually move up in size (for me) and gives it a great stance.
The Cooper Discoverer ATR was one of the options, and noticed that its exactly like the Mastercraft Courser A/T in all specs except the treadwear which was 500 for the Cooper while 460 for Mastercraft.

I went for the Mastercraft for the style and look :)

Here is how the Cooper Discoverer ATR looks like

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ahmed, The new lift and tires look great! I can't believe those old forteras got you through any sand! Really interested how your new ones perform.

·
Registered
14 Posts

In my opinion, the Landcruiser's 275 tires look a bit wider, judging from the picture. But the commander really looks nice now. Ahmed I think you badly need spacers on those tires.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahmed, The new lift and tires look great! I can't believe those old forteras got you through any sand! Really interested how your new ones perform.
Street tires work fine on the soft sand, the main factor is to widen the contact surface are by airing down the tires to increase flotation on the sand, and the tries shouldn't have very aggressive tread.

The new tires I put has more aggressive tread (All-terrain one) which is good for sand, but the wide tread width maybe will compensate for this bad side.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts