Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question about the max tongue weight ratings that are listed in the owners manual for my '07 4.7l commander with the tow package.

It says that i can tow up to 6500lbs, and have a max tongue weight of 650. We recently purchased an airstream trailer that fully loaded has a weight of 6000lbs, so that seems fine. What i did not notice, was that the trailer has a tongue weight of 720, which exceeds the weight in the owners manual.

My question is whether the 650lb tongue weight is based on a weight bearing or weight distributing hitch?

Some vehicle manuals will report a much higher max tongue weight if using weight distribution, but the jeep manual doesnt make this distinction. We do have a WD hitch (reese strait-line dual cams), which should redistribute some of the tongue weight back to the trailer axles, and forward to the front vehicle axles. Should we be ok going a bit over the tongue weight like this?

Sorry to ramble on, but ive seen conflicting information, and i would really like to make this rig work safely.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Telebuck said:
My question is whether the 650lb tongue weight is based on a weight bearing or weight distributing hitch?
I'm pretty sure that the 650 is without a weight distributing hitch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts