Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mango, 20 inch zinik verona. I looked at many rims, almost like buying a new vehicle in itself. Just order the chrome jeep running boards. Your jeep looks great. I like all the pics you have with it. Maximo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maximo, those wheels look great! I'll be getting a Commander in late summer... could you tell us what the wheels and tire sizes are you have - and did you have to install a lift kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSfan, thanks for the comment. Tire size is 275/45/20. The wheels are zinik verona, which is made only in sizes 18 and 20. Stock suspension on commander. The offset on the jc is very high no not too many rims will fit. They had to be machined. The ride seems to be alot better with the 20s. I think Akuza makes a rim called the creeper that will fit the commander. I've seen a couple of commander around town with those on them. Maximo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Maximo. So it looks like the overall diameter is really close to stock - I take it you didn't have to do any speedo modifications. How did you know what size rims/tires to go with - did you go in knowing you wanted to keep the outside diameter as close as possible to stock? Or was there some program you used to look at all kinds of different sizes? I've seen some on-line apps, but they are generally pretty poor in detail or usability...

Sounds like you went to a pretty good tire shop to set you up. That's wild they had to do custom machining to get an offset... From what I can tell on www.americanracing.com, it looks like the Commander offset is +30mm... where as many of their wheels are just +18mm. Does +30mm about right? Did it cost alot to have the machining done? I really like the American Racing Skar (Series 616) - but it looks like that only comes with a +18 offset - am hoping I'll find a similarly talanted shop to go to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SS, I put a lot of time into researching the rims. 30 is about right on the offset. First I went to tire rack
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gar...utoModel=Commander&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=
next I went to custom wheel
http://www.custom-wheels-car-rims.com/CarSearchModule.cfm
Once their I looked at the wheel I wanted and check the tire size that comes with the package.
check this site out. Many pages of wheels, stay with the higher offset.
http://www.bigwheels.net/?location=wheels&view_mode=car&action=&model=&model_vehicle=Commander
Once you find the wheel you like and you know the offset. Then start checking different dealers for price. I went to discount tire to see what price they would have on the wheel I wanted. But if you go to your local Jeep dealer they might tell you who does their accessories for them. Once they do call them and see what they offer. That is what I ended up doing. Jeep wanted 3500 for wheel and tire package. I asked them what accessory shop they used. Drove two blocks down the road and 2300 later very satsified. The machining doesn't cost any extra to my knowledge. Most rim company will have certain rims not machined for vehicle such as the commander that have a high offset. The only problem is that you will have to wait a couple of weeks before you will receive the rims. Bigwheels.net was very helpful with offset and bolt pattern. But most rims they show will have a lower offset, so keep in mind for a nice tight fit a higher offset works best. You might be able to get away with the 18 offset, but get a second or third opinion. I hope this helps. Maximo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks again Maximo - that was very helpful!

GBlue - I think the main point of the Commander - and the Jeep brand in general - is about making your own rules, and not blindly following those of your elders (i.e. Wrangler, GC, etc.) :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
SSFan said:
Thanks again Maximo - that was very helpful!

GBlue - I think the main point of the Commander - and the Jeep brand in general - is about making your own rules, and not blindly following those of your elders (i.e. Wrangler, GC, etc.) :)
Absolutely! Except we don't condone lowering them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quite understandable - I just hope I'll be able to fit the Commander in the garage of our new condo - I'll have only 74" to work with. The specs say the JC is only 70.9" tall, but I haven't figured out if that's with or without the cross-bars on the roof-rack. Then again, those cross-bars look pretty easy to remove if need-be.

We'll be in downtown Seattle, so won't really want to leave it parked outside - especially when it will have two parking spots all to itself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.