Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I posted this in the "thinking of buying" thread but not too much action there. I'm looking at an 06 limited, 4.7L, QDII, navi, DVD system, loaded, 51k miles. The price has been dropped to 17,988$. This is an independent used car dealership, not a big car dealer. They have been around 9 years and seem pretty legit. The carfax on the XK comes back clean but one thing concerns me, the grill is body color, not chrome. I thought on the limited they were supposed to be chrome in '06? I did a build check on the VIN and everything that is indicated correctly on it (doesn't give the grill color though). Am I being too overly cautious about this? Does the price seem in line for this Commander? The big car dealerships are obviously asking more for a similar vehicle.
Thanks guys, love the site!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Hi everyone, I posted this in the "thinking of buying" thread but not too much action there. I'm looking at an 06 limited, 4.7L, QDII, navi, DVD system, loaded, 51k miles. The price has been dropped to 17,988$. This is an independent used car dealership, not a big car dealer. They have been around 9 years and seem pretty legit. The carfax on the XK comes back clean but one thing concerns me, the grill is body color, not chrome. I thought on the limited they were supposed to be chrome in '06? I did a build check on the VIN and everything that is indicated correctly on it (doesn't give the grill color though). Am I being too overly cautious about this? Does the price seem in line for this Commander? The big car dealerships are obviously asking more for a similar vehicle.
Thanks guys, love the site!
That price is in line for an 06 Base, and a good deal on a Limited. Previous owner could have swapped out his grill, or added all the chrome to make it appear as a Limited. How many heater control knobs are there? 3 or 4? :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 3. Yeah, I'm kinda worried a out some sort of accident, and the grill got replaced. The carfax is clean but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened right? I can give the VIN if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, now that I look at it I think it is a sport, it only has the 4x4 badge and Trail Rated badge. Is it possible for an 06 sport to have QDII, leather, navi, infotainment system, and basically every option available??
VIN- 1J8HG48N56C133021

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Actually, now that I look at it I think it is a sport, it only has the 4x4 badge and Trail Rated badge. Is it possible for an 06 sport to have QDII, leather, navi, infotainment system, and basically every option available??
VIN- 1J8HG48N56C133021
Yep,
I believe I've seen a few well dressed Sports as you describe.

Someone here should be able to disect your vin.....

Rob

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Think I got it, looks like it is a well dressed sport.
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1J8HG48N56C133021
That's what you have, as do I. FYI, there was no Sport in 06, just Base and Limited. With leather you have either the 28T, or 28U. These packages are similar but include different options/standard with package. The 06 Base was the only model year that came with a body color grill. The 06 Limited had a chrome grill, so I wouldn't be concerned about the grill. Yours is the way it came from the factory. QDII was an option with the 4.7. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Given this info, does 18,000$ seem like a fair price. I'm sure I can negotiate some too.
Are there any tell tale signs I should look for that may be a indicator of a problem, either mechanically or cosmetically? I will be towing a 20' boat 5-6 times per year. It weighs approx 4500lbs, that is boat, trailer and gear, is that a problem? The trailer has surge brakes so electric connection for trailer brakes is not an issue.
Love this forum,

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
my 07 XK came with a chrome grill but i replaced with a black one, Different
color grill means little. I also debadged it. look underneath for bent metal and
run your hand under the seats and check for mud. Drop the panel under the
steering wheel and look.Should all be clean. If you are dealing with a long established dealer and he gave you a car fax, you are probably safe.
Also, go to kbb.com and check pricing. Does it have a factory tow package? Factory hd tow package would have heavier duty transmission cooling.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You shouldn't be looking for tell tale signs of anything, hire an independent pre-purchase inspection mechanic. Preferably one with references, and a couple hundred point inspection.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
You shouldn't be looking for tell tale signs of anything, hire an independent pre-purchase inspection mechanic. Preferably one with references, and a couple hundred point inspection.
Why would you jump into the expense to hire an independent mechanic before
you purchased the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
WOW! Briandl.. Is that your response when someone asks a question?
Thanks for your help. I am sure this is what new members want to see.

If you take a cursory glance as I suggest, you may not need any further
investigation into the vehicle. Spending the money is one way of finding out
if problems exist and may save some expense later on.

You could go to an Auto Zone or similar and see if they can run a scan on
the Commander and see of any error codes pop up.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I ran the VIN at Jeep.com for Owners:

Listed below are details about the recall(s) on your specific vehicle. Click the link for an electronic copy of the official Recall Notice. Please contact your nearest dealership to perform the recall as soon as possible.

There are no recalls in effect for your vehicle.
VR_104--No Incomplete Recall Exists

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry, your question just seemed hilarious to me. Why would I have a mechanic look at a vehicle BEFORE I spend 18 thousand dollars on it?

I guess I'll just do it after, once I've already paid for it and can no longer return it, no longer have leverage to have any necessary repairs made, and can no longer negotiate the price.

Was that a serious question, or was that meant to illicit a response that would further educate people that don't know the answer? It seems like it was a serious question and again in that case it's pretty damn funny.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Why would you jump into the expense to hire an independent mechanic before
you purchased the vehicle?

I used to do inspections for people when I worked at the shop. It'd usually cost about $50 (a bit more than half hour worth of labor).

That $50 has saved a lot of people headaches. There was one BMW I inspected that was clearly in an accident and run off the road. As soon as I had it up in the air there was curb rash all over the underbody and the plastic shields were held together with twist ties and zip ties (indicating it probably wasn't repaired properly ). Vehicle also had a CLEAN carfax. Needless to say the inspection ended there.... the potential buyer was happy to pay $50 and even threw me a $20 tip.

If you're not experienced with automobiles, getting a used car checked out beforehand is a good idea. I'd say about half of the cars I inspected I was able to give the owner enough bargaining power to drop the price another $300-400, or do some repairs up front at no cost to the buyer.... both of which more than paid for my services.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts