Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I just bought a Daimler Chrysler Star Scan Dealership Diagnostic Service Tool OEM.

Wasn't cheap, but, felt like it was a worthwhile investment.

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
But I just bought a Daimler Chrysler Star Scan Dealership Diagnostic Service Tool OEM.

Wasn't cheap, but, felt like it was a worthwhile investment.
How not cheap was it?

Reactions: patf111

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How not cheap was it?
With Taxes & shipping $1,300.00

It comes with a network card as well, so I can download updated software, if a specific module has an update available for it. (This is an optional feature, but, I'm glad the unit I bought has it)

Most of the other Star Scans I've seen on e-bay, the sellers were asking from $1,450 all the way up to $2K and that was without the network card, so, I feel like a I got a pretty good deal.

· Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
61 Posts
Wow that’s some dedication right there!
What’s next?

• Haha
Reactions: andreve1964

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that’s some dedication right there!
What’s next?
Good question @CmdrDonnyT. ;

I have a bunch of new cooling system components that I want to have installed, just because I think it's time;

Silicone molded coolant hoses, Thermostat, water pump, new fan & fan resistor and an external transmission cooler.

As far as new equipment, I'd like to install a nice HAM radio in it, somewhere down the road.

· Registered
2007 Commander Limited Hemi 2wd
61 Posts
Lol good stuff. However I was asking about your future plans with the new Star Scan tool.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol good stuff. However I was asking about your future plans with the new Star Scan tool.
When I get it (it was shipped today) I'm gonna hook it up and see what options it gives me, then I'll go from there.

Good thing is, from a software management standpoint, I'll now have the right OEM OBD-II programming tool, to do anything that needs to be done.

IE programming a new PCM with my VIN, if I ever have to replace it, coding new key FOBIKs etc.....without having to go to the dealership.

These Chrysler Star-Scan devices, are getting harder & harder to come by, especially in good condition & with the optional network card.

Obviously, I'm not advocating for everybody to go out & buy one, but, I'm glad I did.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hey Blue. Perhaps you will be able to tell us what those other configs are on the AppDiag tool..... they may be useful.
Looking forward to hearing how the tool works. At that price I will have to live vicariously through your experiences

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited; 4.7L V-8; QT-II 4WD; 170,000 Miles
34 Posts
I did not buy a jeep scanner, but other brand this past spring for $800. Yes, it has paid for itself. Whether jeep specific, or generic which handles other car brands, a good scanner is worth it weight in gold. Expect 3 year life, and hope for more. Yes I recommend real dedicated hardware for scanners. I also have ANDROID apps for mobile use, and WINDOWS PC hosting BMW and FORD specific tools. I had hoped to reduce my scanning/code hardware and software, however it seems the more I learn, the more hardware and software I acquire for my fleet. Scanning and the use of a scope is indispensable and takes time to learn. Not a 1 day I know it all, doesn't happen.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not buy a jeep scanner, but other brand this past spring for $800. Yes, it has paid for itself. Whether jeep specific, or generic which handles other car brands, a good scanner is worth it weight in gold. Expect 3 year life, and hope for more. Yes I recommend real dedicated hardware for scanners. I also have ANDROID apps for mobile use, and WINDOWS PC hosting BMW and FORD specific tools. I had hoped to reduce my scanning/code hardware and software, however it seems the more I learn, the more hardware and software I acquire for my fleet. Scanning and the use of a scope is indispensable and takes time to learn. Not a 1 day I know it all, doesn't happen.
@budet76

Just to be clear, this is not Jeep specific; a Daimler Chrysler Star Scan Dealership Diagnostic Service Tool can be used on all Chrylser/Jeep/FCA OBD-II / DRB-III equipped vehicles up to the 2010 model year.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Why only a 3 year life?

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited; 4.7L V-8; QT-II 4WD; 170,000 Miles
34 Posts
After 3 years, some offer scanner vendors updates for money $$$. Also, after 3 years the newer items on the market are better and offer more features. What is important is "which" commands like "turn on fan, turn on fuel pump" are supported. Each vendor supports a subset of factory real shop scanners. I wish mine did more commands, but alas for$800 you only get some. Congratulations on post poster for getting a complete device.

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
After 3 years, some offer scanner vendors updates for money $$$. Also, after 3 years the newer items on the market are better and offer more features. What is important is "which" commands like "turn on fan, turn on fuel pump" are supported. Each vendor supports a subset of factory real shop scanners. I wish mine did more commands, but alas for$800 you only get some. Congratulations on post poster for getting a complete device.
I got a Foxwell because it comes with free lifetime updates.

· Administrator
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it works as designed, this Star Scan is a really nice piece of equipment.

I only plugged it in for a few minutes and went through just a couple of the menus, it was getting late and I didn't want to get too deep into it tonight.

It's pretty clear to me in just a few minutes of fiddling with it, that this Star Scan does a WHOLE LOT.

It has already told me that I had to charge my battery, which I'm doing as we speak.

Here are a few pics;

This was money very well spent in my book.

Tomorrow I'll try & dig a little deeper into the ECU settings and see if there is anything "Flex Fuel" specific for @jklightner

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Well it works as designed, this Star Scan is a really nice piece of equipment.

I only plugged it in for a few minutes and went through just a couple of the menus, it was getting late and I didn't want to get too deep into it tonight.

It's pretty clear to me in just a few minutes of fiddling with it, that this Star Scan does a WHOLE LOT.

It has already told me that I had to charge my battery, which I'm doing as we speak.

Here are a few pics;

This was money very well spent in my book.

Tomorrow I'll try & dig a little deeper into the ECU settings and see if there is anything "Flex Fuel" specific for @jklightner
I'm jealous
My birthday is next month, maybe I should start dropping hints to my wife.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts